need alternator conversion kit for mercruiser 165

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRanker64

Recruit
I am a happy first time boat owner of a Wellcraft 190 classic - 1987. I've read a lot of the posts that tell me this engine is dreaded - but the price was right for me.

Engine mercruiser 165 serial #B488113 (2BBL) 224 I/L4
drive unit: 493802transom assembly: OB501850
Alpha One

Many posts referred to this engine as a 470 and I don't know how to determine this.

Our problem is the battery is not charging and have been told that it is probably the stator and we need to put an alternator conversion kit on because it is cheaper than a rebuild??

I found a post where someone was making their own alternator "kit" but the details and directions on the site he sends you to were not very specific.

Looking to fix this quick and as cheap as possible.

We can charge the battery at home and as long as we don't turn the engine off and on too many times the boat runs fine - my guess is this is probably not good for the engine though.

Any thoughts, help, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

"G"

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: need alternator conversion kit for mercruiser 165

If it's a Merc 165 you have a straight six chev engine. The alternator is a marine Delco mounted on the side of the motor driven by belt off the crank and water pump.

If your engine is a 4 cylinder with no visible alternator you have a 470. The alternator is behind the water pump, water cooled. Yes, they made a belt driven alternator kit for that.

BE CAREFUL WITH THESE "after market" KITS... use marine parts or you may be picking fiberglass splinters from your backside (if you're lucky enough to survive the explosion).

fitzroy97

Cadet

I agree with Gary
Call Kevin at breezeworks. Send picture he will tell you hi or low mount. Just did mine now great easy to do 1 hr max. I have just blown engine coupler. that is why I am here tonight.

CRanker64

Recruit

The engine specifically says mercruiser 165 and only has four spark plugs (in a row) - doesn't that make it a 4 cylinder.

cr2k

Captain

165 is a 6 CYL. Don't know why yours sez that. it is a 470. A weird combination of ford v-8 head, outboard style ign and charging system.

CRanker64

Recruit

The engine says Mercruiser 165 on the top but it only has four spark plugs. Doesn't that make it a 4 cylinder?

Can you also explain what 470 refers to?

Thanks

Bone 76

Cadet

Don't want to barge in, but I have an 87 sea Ray Seville with a mercruiser 165 which is an inline 6, there is not a external belt driven alternator! I am also having charging problems , first it was charging 16v +, now it's not charging at all ! Stator? Voltage regulator? Idk!!!!!!!

gettin'even

Petty Officer 3rd Class

165 is a 6 CYL. Don't know why yours sez that. it is a 470. A weird combination of ford v-8 head, outboard style ign and charging system.

My "470" also says 165 on the valve cover. It is the advertised horsepower of the two barrel version of this engine for this year (1987). The valve cover also says 3.7 liter.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

For bone76, if you have the inline 6 ,then your missing the alt. You do not have a stator type system
The Merc inline 4 FWC aluminum block was designated 470 or 488.
4= 4 cylinder,,70= 170hp W/ a 2barrel
4= 4 cylimder, 88= 188hp W/ a 4 barrel

gettin'even

Petty Officer 3rd Class

For bone76, if you have the inline 6 ,then your missing the alt. You do not have a stator type system
The Merc inline 4 FWC aluminum block was designated 470 or 488.
4= 4 cylinder,,70= 170hp W/ a 2barrel
4= 4 cylimder, 88= 188hp W/ a 4 barrel

Earlier versions had this designation. My 87 vintage "470" does not say 470 on it anywhere. It says 3.7 liter - 165. Same engine, different name.

King P.V.

Seaman

Since there was too large of a horsepower "gap" between the in-line 6 cylinder engines (165hp) and the small block V-8's (302,305 etc...at 210, 225, 230 hp) not counting weight disadvantage with the V-8's, Mercruiser came up with the notion of using a ford 460 cylinder head (cast iron) and manufacturing an aluminum block in their foundry. The dissimilar metals dictated a FWC enity due to salt water customers/usage. Standard ignition from a stern drive engine and a water cool'd voltage regulator and the stationary stator and rotating flywheel of an outboard. Tho your engine may be listed as a 165 hp.,, most people know these engines as the ol' 470. four cylinders and 170 hp..... later they had four barrle carbs and were listed as "485".You could call your motor a 165 hp engine but you'll confuse more people who know it as... a "470" If I remember correctly, the first "224 ci" units had a very weird exhust manifold, thermostat set-up which left alot to be desired. Try to find those items can be a real chore...... Mercruiser went on to build the ZR1 block for Chevy Corvette using their knowledge gain'd from the building of the 470. It kick'd major arse but was very expensive... Later, Chevy came up with the 3.8 litre V-6 (305 ci with the middle two cylinders cut out) and the 4.3 V-6 which still remains as a 350ci with the two middle holes removed... The cost effectivness of buying from Chevy eventually forced the 470 to go away.....

Status
Not open for further replies.