1992 Force 150hp. Awful Smokey??

ramcarol

Recruit
I have a 1992 Force 150. It has a new powerhead on it that now has about 50hrs. The motor has always been a little smokey with some oil residue out the exhaust. The motor calls for a 50:1 mix and I even started using Cabelas low smoke oil, but it still seems like it smokes more then it should. Everytime I check the plugs, they also seem to be oily. And there also is oil in the bottom of the plastic covers in front of the carbs. I am looking for answers. Its not self mixing, so should I just cut the oil down in the gas?

Thanks11

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1992 Force 150hp. Awful Smokey??

If the plugs are oily, then you may be running too rich. Are you running the motor for extended periods at low speed? If so, you may see oil build up on the plugs.

How does the motor run?

Have the carburetors ever been serviced?

john from md

Commander

Have you ever done a decarb? If not, do so. It will not stop all the smoking but will make the engine run more efficiently which will cut down on smoke.

John

ramcarol

Recruit

The motor runs pretty good. Maybe a little rough at certain rpms. I have never done a decarb. At the risk of sounding ignorant, can you tell me more about this?

Thanks!!

john from md

Commander

Most earlier two stroke engines tend to get carboned up in the piston ring, piston face and head area. Using the Decarbonizing procedure periodically frees sticky rings and removes some of the flakey carbon to let your engine run better.

The procedure can be found in the FAQ at the beginning of the iboats maintenance forums.

If you use the boat alot, it is a good thing to do a decarb at the beginning of the season every year.

John