Marina filled my water tank with gas

Adamf24

Seaman Apprentice
Last week the Marina I dry-rack store my boat filled my water tank up with gas (after I called them on the phone and asked that they put gas in my boat before I arrived). They apologized and said they will do whatever it takes to solve the issue. Right now they are going to just try and see if they can clean it out though

Can the tank just be washed out or does it need to be replaced?

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Marina filled my water tank with gas

Last week the Marina I dry-rack store my boat filled my water tank up with gas (after I called them on the phone and asked that they put gas in my boat before I arrived). They apologized and said they will do whatever it takes to solve the issue. Right now they are going to just try and see if they can clean it out though

Can the tank just be washed out or does it need to be replaced?

What is your water tank made of??
plastic???? Just have it replaced along with all of the tubes and valves that are connected to it.
Will never getthe gas out of it.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

+1

I definitely wouldnt take any chances... I would require them to change out the tank and all of the hoses/fittings as well...

It comes down to safety, and no matter what you do, you could possibly still have a gasoline residue left somewhere if its just "washed out".

I certainly wouldn't trust it ever again.

Just my opinion...

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah I don't see how you could ever get it clean enough and then even use the water to wash your face with.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

think of it this way... buy a new plastic gas can, and store gas in it for a couple days. now dump that into your car and try getting the gas can clean enough to drink water out of. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

that is a very simple and easy test case, now add all the complications of valves and tubing, it will never be clean.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I do hope the water fill plate is clearly marked "Water". If so, like others have said, tell them to replace the tank and hoses. Tell them you did some research and the system is permanently contaminated and can't be washed clean.

If they balk, leave and call an attorney.

My worries are how well they will do the repairs.

If possible, get a locking water fill plate.

Adamf24

Seaman Apprentice

I do hope the water fill plate is clearly marked "Water". If so, like others have said, tell them to replace the tank and hoses. Tell them you did some research and the system is permanently contaminated and can't be washed clean.

If they balk, leave and call an attorney.

My worries are how well they will do the repairs.

If possible, get a locking water fill plate.

Yes, the water plate/cap is marked "Water".

My concern now is that I'll need to replace the shower heads too as they were turned on to see if the on-the-spot cleaning efforts did anything (they didn't, and obviously this was a dumb move).

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Yes, the water plate/cap is marked "Water".

My concern now is that I'll need to replace the shower heads too as they were turned on to see if the on-the-spot cleaning efforts did anything (they didn't, and obviously this was a dumb move).

the shower heads might be the easiest parts actually. probably a fair amount of metal, and not much plastic. I'd take them off and soak them in a bucket of water as well as flush it out, should be fine.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Anything that has a possibility of absorbing the gas will need to be changed. Everything else will need to flushed very well with some kind of cleaner to rid the system of the contamination. I would have them change every piece that came in contact with the fuel and not take any chances. It's their dime not yours so don't cheap out. Once they are done take some water samples from every outlet and have them tested to check the work. Maybe a lawyer can get some "loss of use" if they give you a hard time over this.