shredded impellar

bayliner12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
had my boat running on the ears today, did something i dont think ive done twice in ten years, went in the house for about 5 minutes with it running, when i got back the power head was smoking a little, looked at the temp. gage...pegged. shut it down, pulled the lower unit and the impeller was gone. i let the engine cool for an hour or so and turned it over, it cranked fine. my question is, has any one ever had this happen and not have the motor destroyed? im hopeing i got lucky

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: shredded impellar

I am far from a pro but I would suggest you do a compression test first. if all looks good change you impeller and test it in a tub of water instead of muffs. I hope you got lucky. Im new to outboards but have been working on 2 strokes for years.

bayliner12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its funny you say that, i did a compressioncheck right before, all were right at 140. it is a 2 stroke too, but...now plug your ears....an.......L drive so i cant check it in a tub

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

sorry for that L drive. did you do the comp test before this happened or after?

bayliner12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i get that a lot about the L drive, thing is ive had the boat 10 years and never had a problem. i did the test before, by the time i got the lower unit off and the pump pulled i was done for the day, can i still do a compression test with the lower unit off?

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

That im not sure of. you will have to wait for some more knowledgable about the lower unit to chime in. Im not sure if it is ok to turn the motor over like that with it diconnected. when you are able to do the test it will tell you alot. if you comp is still good you prob got lucky.

john from md

Commander

You can do a compression check with the lower removed. Just don't try to start it.

John

bayliner12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

did a compression check, 140 all cylinders, guess i may of got lucky

bayliner12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

heres a couple pictures of the gear cover, in picture 1 you'll see kind of a slotted hole to the right of center, in the 2nd picture you'll see a crack on the left under the tube, are those a concern?

Attachments

• DSCF0031 (2).jpg
    DSCF0031 (2).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0034 (2).jpg
    DSCF0034 (2).jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0

bayliner12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

guess i should of mentioned, the areas i'm talking about are right under the water pump housing, above the gear cover housing

foodfisher

Captain

1st picture-not sure what I'm seeing. 2nd picture shows metal fatigue. I'd clean with acetone and lather JB Weld on both sides so as to not interfere with any moving parts or hamper proper fitting of parts.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I would replace it if I were planning to keep it for a while. The piece that the water pump mounts on is about $100 new. JB weld is an alternative though and will probably be OK.

john from md

Commander

The water pump area is low pressure so, if you clean it well enough, JB weld will probably hold. Just make sure you clean it and make a rough surface for the material to hold onto.

John