I saw this...don't know where to begin.

Attachments

• adrift.jpg
    adrift.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 0

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I am at a loss for words

People who put that sign up is looking for trouble. Where is that at? Private resort or what?
I know some people if they were to see that sign they would come back and take revenge in odd hours of the night.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Not sure the legality of it, but I'm guessing it would rank in the realm of putting a car in neutral because someone parked in your reserved spot.. ie: not very legal.

It certainly would make me avoid the dock, though (not that I would tie up to someone else's dock without a good reason).

Reminds me of the "Trespassers will be shot on sight" sign. Not legal, but likely makes people think twice about taking the risk.

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Private is private. If you park in my driveway I'm going to have your car towed........... Same applies to water.

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

i'd begin at joining another club. I'd continue by alerting local authorities.that sort of behavior is a criminal offense in most states(different names; causing or risking catastophe, disorderly conduct, destruction of property, etc.). from there, local media may find it interesting.

and people wonder why other people hate them.

i found a word for you. "Sad".

Kracken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is at a private marina on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire. It pisses me off everytime I see it. It has been there for YEARS.

I always wanted to steal that sign some night and replace it with:

"free public slips, short and long term"

I know its wrong....but it is tempting

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

that type of sign could encourage someone to come back at night and put the dock adrift!

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i'd begin at joining another club. I'd continue by alerting local authorities.that sort of behavior is a criminal offense in most states(different names; causing or risking catastophe, disorderly conduct, destruction of property, etc.). from there, local media may find it interesting.

and people wonder why other people hate them.

i found a word for you. "Sad".

I assume you mean me.
When someone ties up to my dock, which I own, I see that as intrusive. They are on my property. I have no aignst it's just that I've had stuff stolen so I'm a bit wary. When I go down to my dock at 05:00 and see two bass boats tied to it, I get a bit irate. That's my property. I own it, I built it. State law says I own it.
Most times I'm very freindly and even offer them a breakfast sandwich but dang. The NERVE.

Kracken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think actually following through on this threat would be:

Intentionally placing a hazzard (an unmanned boat) in the water.

The funny thing is a dozen different MP pass these docks everyday. and it has been there for years. Yet if you are driving 46 MPH you will be stopped.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I always wanted to steal that sign some night and replace it with:

"free public slips, short and long term"

I know its wrong....but it is tempting

No need to steal the sign, just make a sign to tape on the existing one saying something official, like "Public dock, overnight use permitted" :p

JMUDukes

Cadet

Still..... tying up to someone's dock without permission is a major **** move. We had some people do that to us last 4th of July, so we boarded their boat and started hanging out. It got their attention pretty quickly. I told them I was going to claim it as a salvage.

"Tresspassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again."

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's a private dock....what's the problem?

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No need to steal the sign, just make a sign to tape on the existing one saying something official, like "Public dock, overnight use permitted" :p

No need. Private property bought and paid for can be confiscated with majority rule. a sign of the times. I guess all private property is suspect. Take it. Boaters are the worst when it comes to seeing private property for what it is.

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

Zeeter, i agree private means private. however, untied and left to float? so when some poor jamoke comes along around a blind curve and nails this thing, that's ok? when an injury is caused, that's fine?

the car in neutral analogy is pretty accurate. so because it was parked in someone's driveway, it's ok to put in in neutral, or release the e brake, let it roll down the hill into someone's house, or worse.

if it's a private club, they should be smarter than that. idle threat or not it's irresponsible, and invokes retalitory behavior. see some of the responses so far? these folks are sober, and sensible. throw the average had waaaay too much to drink weekend warrior in a boat into the situation.

"No Trespassing" i think would be a better way to word it. just my opinion. but then, i wouldn't tie up to a dock without permission.

Kracken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not to throw a monkey in the wrench:D

but there are circumstances where it has to be done.

We were out on the lake one day and a storm came in FAST. lighting, thunder driving rain and howling wind. we were heading south but we had another 7 miles before we reached our dock we were not going to make it. We had four kids under 7 years old in a 21 foot bowrider (no top). I turned into an inlet, powered through the no wake zone and into the first empty dock I found. Was I jerk for breaking the rules? Thats a matter of opinion. People's safety come before property ownership.

If I had a breakdown or an emergency I don't care what sign they have up.

JMUDukes

Cadet

I think escaping danger is an obvious exception.

salty87

Commander

the plant nursery near me has a sign....."children left unattended will be given coffee and a puppy". i don't think they really mean it but the sign does its job...it gets read.

i wouldn't worry about the dock sign unless they've let your boat drift off...in which case you used their docks without authorization...

kinda reminds me of a post someone put up about a year ago complaining that he didn't pay to use a ramp and got pissed when they said they'd impound his car if he did it again.

Capt Ron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see it that if you leave your boat then your do so at your own risk as stated on the sign, however the sign needs to be changed to "any unattended boats will be towed and a towing fee collected". Besides if you tie up and remain with the boat ie: safe haven, then you can untie the boat yourself.

Actually I don't see the problem, if it was my dock, I'd pull the plug before I set it adrift...

Destroying or defacing the sign makes you no better than the person that posted it.

Why tie up to a dock that is obviously private anyway?

Capt Ron

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Private is private. If you park in my driveway I'm going to have your car towed........... Same applies to water.

Having a car towed is one thing, Setting a boat adrift is another.. You can do the same thing with a boat, Have it towed. If you set to adrift and it caused an accident you are reliable.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

lighten up guys; it's a joke. Like "Trespassers will be violated." Until they really do set some boats loose, it's not an issue.
Who would leave his boat unattended and tied to a strange dock? Someone who needs the extra warning, that's who. Those of us who don't need the warning, just laugh it off.