Throttle cable question.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Throttle cable question.

I just looked at the parts diagriam for a 98 mercarb and it doesn't show a return spring.

So... easy enough

pull off the throttle cable and work the carb throttle by hand. If it's nice and smooth replace the throttle cable from front to back. If the carbs throttle takes effort to move back and forth replace the carb and put a new cable on it.

Bilgamesh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

...pull off the throttle cable and work the carb throttle by hand. If it's nice and smooth replace the throttle cable from front to back. If the carbs throttle takes effort to move back and forth replace the carb and put a new cable on it.

This sounds right to me, and I assume you mean this is what I should do if that last 1/4" of adjustment does not do the trick?

Thanks again for your attention to my problem.

Bill

Bilgamesh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FWIW, as a sanity check, I did what Jason suggested, and the throttle plates do close by themselves. I wouldn't say they snap shut, but they definitely close without the assistance of an external spring. I made the recommended adjustment to the throttle cable, and it worked to solve my problem. My engine now returns to idle normally. Today was the first day I was able to enjoy a stress-free day of boating since I bought the thing 3 weeks ago. - Thanks All!