1960 18hp Starting problem.

tbfosback

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok folks I have a 18hp model #15032. Over the past year or so I have re-sealed the lower unit, replaced water pump impeller, t-stat, rebuilt carb, replaced fuel-pump, fuel lines, and replaced spark plugs, wires, coils, points, and condensers. I have a cold compression of 117lbs on each cylinder.

Here is my problem. I can start it up just fine in my test tank. But when out on the lake, I had to bypass the neutral throttle limiter, by putting it into gear in order to give it more gas, to start it. I know totally unsafe. But 1 mile from ramp and nobody else on the water, I did what I had to do. My first thought was carb float mis adjusted. But I checked and it is set fine. I was not able to replace the float when I rebuilt the carb because I just could not find one with the rebuild kit. I also thought it might be the sychronization of the fuel and ignition system. But this too seems fine. Anyone got any ideas?

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1960 18hp Starting problem.

Try laingsoutboards.com for the float. Jeff sells them seperately. Rick

tbfosback

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you rjezuit I will check that out.

I was just out looking at my sychronization and noticed that my cam follower only has 1 mark on it. Is this normal? The manual says that it should have 2.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Crap... I had a 1960 18hp last year that had the exact same problem. Seems weird... But I would have to start it in gear also... Hmmm... I never did find the problem... I traded it for another boat and motor... I was going to rebuild the carb but never got around to it... I don't miss the ugly old breadbox! Got a nice '57 J18 on the boat now that runs a lot better...

tbfosback

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My little 18hp still looks brand new other than the styling. The guy I got it from picked it up at an estate sale. It must have been sitting for about 20 or so years. It still has the original prop with all of the paint still intact. It has taken some doing but the end is in sight.

lindy46

Captain

When it ran fine in the test tank, was the cover off? If there's an exhaust leak it may not start/run with the cover on.

tbfosback

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When I ran it in the test tank it did not matter if the cover was on or off. I started it both ways. I inspected the head and no obvious flaws or any tell tale signs of an exhaust leak.

rossfree

Cadet

Just a thought...

I just bought a 1960 18hp like yours. It's frozen... start working on it tonight!

Anyway... I was wondering what was different about running it in the lake and running it in a tank. I'm thinking load... and perhaps overheating? In the tank, you run it under light load. You never really open her up. Not so in the lake.

From your description, you got her started and were out in the lake when you had problems getting back. Did it seem hot? Maybe you ought to re-check the new thermostat. Simple enough to do that.

I just got a '65 6hp Evinrude running. Replaced seals in the lower gearbox. Put it back together. It overheated in the lake. What tha...

Got home... took her apart. The coolant tube, that aligns with the rubber grommet on the water pump, pushed the grommet into the water pump tube and plugged the coolant to the head. Growl. Easy fix. A little more care putting it back together. Problem solved. It's the simple stuff that gets you.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck,

Ross

tbfosback

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry to here about your overheating. It really is the little things that get us. I found a carb float and installed it. Starts just fine now. Only problem is now when I put the cowling back on it she wants to bog down. She may just be sucking up her own exhaust while in the tank. I am going to set up a fan and see if it helps. If not I am thinking reed valves. It was sitting for about 20 years or so. Will keep everyone updated.