First I tilit right and then I tilt lift

traderdavel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Alcohol was not involved :D
Out on the Great South Bay with a full boat, (5 adults and 2 kids), up on plane and then the boat tilts to the right, I use the trim tabs, get back to leveled off, and then it tilts left. Weather was a little windy and I was running with the bimini top on. I don't think it was due to over compensating, since I would level off and then tilt again, any thoughts?

75reinell

Seaman Apprentice
Re: First I tilit right and then I tilt lift

People shifting in the boat?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

angle of outdrive, get the bow up, it is PLOWING, balance your load, you are the Captain, TELL people where to sit. it is for their own safety,

traderdavel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I failed to mention in my post that I made sure people had a seat and didn't move specifically to test to see if it was due to them shifting.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Could be excessive side to side play on the stern drive. That'll cause that problem with the tabs way down.

Also, if you have a deep deadrise, that'll exacerbate the problem. Try running with less tab deployment overall.

Maclin

Admiral

I am with TD on the plowing. My boat was acting very strange one time until I realized I had inadvertently trimmed all the way down to take care of some chop and I was getting some bow steer action. It was not all that apparent that the bow was any lower, one touch on the trim and she righted and steered normally.

traderdavel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

One thing that I did do was to put the bow further down thinking that I need to "cut" through. Instead that sounds like the wron idea and that I should have raised the bow. I can try that next time, thanks,

yomamaho

Seaman Apprentice

If you have a hydrofoil this could be your problem. I was just told this 2 days ago on this site.

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try it with the bimini down. How fast and how windy?