what gps for speed calc.

sleepyweasel

Cadet
Can anyone sugest a "cheap" gps that will tell me the speed while I'm boating?maybe they all do? I know nothing about gps units.....

I only boat on inland lakes, so plotting isn't critical. prefer something I can pick up at a local store(meijers,sears, gander mountain , etc.)

thanks in advance. -K

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: what gps for speed calc.

Welcome Aboard!

My tom-tom was under a hundred new..would work for MPH...
Search craigslist or ?? for a used one

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Get on Ebay,they have older Magellan 310 315 and 330 gps units for as little as $40.

They don't have any maps loaded but they will mark where you have been and you can put in waypoints of places you want to go again and they will get your speed to the 10th of a MPH.

I have had a 330 for quite a few years, has all my favorite fishing spots in it.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

YEs any of the low end hand helds will work. I'm partial to teh Garmin Etrex series as they are less complicated to operate than the Magellan 300 series but all are good. Many of the "car" units will give you speed but it's not garenteed. Check first. Car units also require outside power if you are going to run them for any length of time.
Personally, I'd buy a low end etrx and enjoy. I use mine in the boat, hiking, biking etc for speed, compass, distance log etc. Usefull tools!

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got an old 12 channel Garmin and an even older 8 channel Garmin. Both work great for what you're looking for. Checking Craigslist, E-bay as a previous poster noted are great sources. As well, you might check Pawn shops. I picked up the 8 channel for $15 about a year ago at a Pawn shop. It may not have pretty colors and maps, but I can navigate anywhere and back with it and know how fast I was going, how long it took, etc., etc.

WTR4FUN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got an old 12 channel Garmin and an even older 8 channel Garmin. Both work great for what you're looking for. Checking Craigslist, E-bay as a previous poster noted are great sources. As well, you might check Pawn shops. I picked up the 8 channel for $15 about a year ago at a Pawn shop. It may not have pretty colors and maps, but I can navigate anywhere and back with it and know how fast I was going, how long it took, etc., etc.

buying used is a great suggestion forthis situation, im in the same boat as you.

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you've got a little time and curiousity another trick is to make a small overlay out of clear plastic with a grid marked on it to the scale of your map. You can use it to pinpoint your GPS position on the map quite accurately. Then if you want to pick somewhere else on the map as a destination or a waypoint, just use the overlay to pinpoint the GPS coordinates and make it a "GO TO".
When my kids were still around we made an activity out of doing that. They'd pick a spot, find the coordinates and see if we could get there. They all know how to navigate now, even without a map display type unit.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I use a Garmin Etrex too. I paid about $80 for it at Academy Sports. I would expect prices to be similar at other stores.

Low end handheld units usually don't have mapping functions, but they are very helpful for basic information. They will give you speed info, distance from a selected waypoint, etc. Even though I know the waters where I boat quite well, I like mine and use it frequently.

jkust

Rear Admiral

If all you want is a speed read out, any GPS will work for you. Go to yahoo shopping or similar and find the cheapest one out there. I have avoided EBay for a long time since the shopping sites have always proved a better deal for commodity items.

sleepyweasel

Cadet

Thanks for the replies, I will check the models listed. Basically just want a speedo for the boat, but waypoints would be nice.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Even the most basic (handheld) mentioned will give you waypoints and allow you to save routes. My Etrex now has the ramp and every channel marker/dangerous rock marked in my boating locations. Simple to do, invaluable if you get caught in the fog!