Measuring Prop Pitch at Home FIXING

hwsiii

Commander
This is an easy way to measure the pitch of your prop at home instead of having to go to a prop shop and pay them. The following items will be needed to do this:

A. Carpenters Square
B. Compass
C. Protractor

Normally prop pitch is measured at about 70% of the Radius of the prop. When you have a progressive or regressive pitch prop you can normally not get the right pitch because these props have a variable pitch across the blade of the prop, but if you subtract 1" from progressive props and add 1" for regressive props it will normally be right. On a normal prop you will get the right pitch.

The prop that is being used for this example is a 10 5/8" x 12" 15 degree rake prop with 3" inches of progressive pitch. It is called a 12" Pitch prop but it is actually 11" of pitch on the leading edge with 13" on the trailing edge, that is why you subtract 1" from the answer.

H

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Measuring Prop Pitch at Home

wow thats easy lol.

hwsiii

Commander

Good, I am glad you like it junior.

H

tkmichael11

Seaman Apprentice

:eek: I think I'll just look on the box.

BigJ08

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is really helpful as my prop has no markings indicating it's size. Thanks!

hwsiii

Commander

I am glad it was helpful J.

H

Bifflefan

Commander

I have 3 props, i that im sure of the pitch and 2 not so sure. I meassured all 3 and got the answers. My new factory J/E 17p meassured out to be a 13.98.
my new SST 19p meassured out at 14 and change, and the Michigan wheel prop came out at 20p.

I took the in and found the right numbers.
J/E 14x17p
SST 13x19p
Mich Wheel 13.5x15

I did the calc's on each of these 3 times, following the directions to the "T".
Is there a step in the process that didnt get posted? Or is this just for some props?

hwsiii

Commander

Biffle, would you please show me your exact calculations step by step, and the numbers you used, so I can see exactly how you did it. And I will try to figure out what is wrong.

H

Bifflefan

Commander

I will. Ill try to get them on late tonight or early tomorrow. Thanks

hwsiii

Commander

You are very welcome Biffle.

H

mswalter2009

Seaman Apprentice

That's complicated. I'm just looking for the right prop that will produce the WOT rpms recommended by the manufacturer. Variable pitch prop??? Jeez. I just installed a 2008 90hp Yamaha 2-stroke on a 18' bay (type) boat. How many of 90s have been sold since 2006. (when they changed the model). About a million. Someone must have figured this out before?

My problem, I think, is that my engine is mounted too low. There are some great posts on this site and some very knowledgable posters. Thanks. According to prop calculators changing pitch by a degree only makes a slight difference in RPM. Therefore, start with a prop size/pitch that is "normal", work with your engine mounting height, get it so that WOT is somewhat close, then work on the prop size pitch.

A thought - do pilots go through this when they want to re-prop their single engine Cessana?

Bifflefan

Commander

Ok, got some figures for you,
J/E 14x17p cast on the prop.

dia 14
radius 7
70% = 4.9 (used 4 15/16 to draw circle)
trailing edge is 5.5
leading is 3.125
diff is 2.375
seperation is 65 deg

5.5-3.125=2.375
2.375x360=855/65=13.15

These are the numbers that i had writen down. the others were from memory.

Bifflefan

Commander

That's complicated. I'm just looking for the right prop that will produce the WOT rpms recommended by the manufacturer. Variable pitch prop??? Jeez. I just installed a 2008 90hp Yamaha 2-stroke on a 18' bay (type) boat. How many of 90s have been sold since 2006. (when they changed the model). About a million. Someone must have figured this out before?

My problem, I think, is that my engine is mounted too low. There are some great posts on this site and some very knowledgable posters. Thanks. According to prop calculators changing pitch by a degree only makes a slight difference in RPM. Therefore, start with a prop size/pitch that is "normal", work with your engine mounting height, get it so that WOT is somewhat close, then work on the prop size pitch.

A thought - do pilots go through this when they want to re-prop their single engine Cessana?

This thread is about finding the pitch of a prop that has no markings. not about reproping a motor. There is tons of reading on that subject.

hwsiii

Commander
Re: Measuring Prop Pitch at Home- FIXING Hopefully

Re: Measuring Prop Pitch at Home- FIXING Hopefully

Biffle, that should have worked. I am going to take this down and go back over it and see what the problem is. Evidently it is my fault, not yours.

H

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Measuring Prop Pitch at Home FIXING

Cool, Let me know when you have something. Im into problem solving. I just like a good challange i guess. Math problems are the best. But ill take what ever comes along.

hwsiii

Commander

You and me both Biffle, I tried it on two different props I have here and I got the right pitch both times. Both were progressive pitch and they came out just right, I just had to subtract 1" for the progressive pitch. One was 12" pitch and the other was a 14" pitch, but your numbers weren't even close, so i have a third prop I wil get and try tonight hopefully.
Thank you for letting me know of the problem, I appreciate it.

H

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This method is a bunch of crap. I tried it on my jet boat and it didn't work worth at all!!:p:D