How NOT to launch a Denali

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: How NOT to launch a Denali

we don't know if the child was wearing a PFD or not. But if I saw a small child slip off a dock into deep or busy water I'd be focused on getting him out immediately no matter what he was or wasn't wearing. So you all can be self-righteous about your rules and perfection but humans do things differently in the heat of a crisis, real or perceived, preventable or not.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

I wasn't there, but considering that the car was facing the dock & ramp (and child if one existed). Seems to me most people stop, shift into park and then get out of the car. If in his confusion, he forgot to do what he does several times a day, I'm surprised he's still alive. Forgive me but, as we get older things become so automatic that this just doesn't happen (until get so old that we go in reverse). Using the child as an excuse seems wrong. There is more to the story, but we'll never know.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

look how the windshield wipers are... maybe it had rain-senseing wipers :p

1rawdawg007

Seaman Apprentice

Maybe he was fishing and a big one pulled it into the water...:redface:

pinecrestwoods

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reading your title again.... this is actually EXACTLY how to "launch a Denali." There is a textbook for this sort of thing, and this appears to be step-by-step. I'd say "Good job!" A few years down the road, he may even find it funny.... "Remember the time...." :p

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Its a good thing the driver didn't have an infant strapped in an infant seat in the back. Could have been a dead baby story.

Twisted1

Cadet

As a single parent with two kids, here's my routine: Load gear, back down to launch boat, tie off , park the truck, and walk WITH the kids to the boat get in and leave. Meanwhile kids are in the truck till it's time to go boating.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This is a kid. Things happen even when you do things perfectly. Maybe the kid was in the truck, undid the seat, jumped out, slipped and in the drink. Some kids are incredibly hyperactive. Some kids are just a handful and some kids are just unlucky. Years ago (about 50, I was about 3 or 4 at the time)) I fell of the dock and into the water. This was before everyone made kids wear lifejackets. My dad plucked me out. I am sure that given the situation, he might have done the same. For years I was frightened of water. I still prefer to swim any stroke that does not require me to get my face wet. By the way, my dad, "He is my hero". If it went down anything like the OP claims, the dad is a HERO. Cut him some slack!

TerryMSU

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Since this happened last summer, I'll cut him some slack now.:D

joebob14

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can only laugh at this guy. No im not perfect and I do make mistakes but there is just no reason anyone with any common sense pulls a truck nose first down any boat ramp. Even people with no experience know better if they have any common sense. Again im not perfect but when I launch my boat my daughter puts on her life jacket at the staging area while I load the extra gear and does not go near the dock or the water without an adault being right there with her. this story is only funny because noone got hurt but it could have easily gone the other way. I would be willing to bet that his kids will never be in that situation again.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I think the problem is he didn't stuff enough pool noodles into the frame rails. :D

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think the problem is he didn't stuff enough pool noodles into the frame rails. :D

Haha I love the I boats reference there!! :)

I would offer a beer and a helping hand.

While I have never dunked my truck into the lake or ocean
( I always crank the wheels all the way over no matter what!)
I have had people help me out when I did something stupid, and well sometimes the niceness of strangers makes all the difference in the world.

Plus, the beer... that will help with the conversation with SWMBO! hopefully it was his truck and not "hers"!

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

As a single parent with two kids, here's my routine: Load gear, back down to launch boat, tie off , park the truck, and walk WITH the kids to the boat get in and leave. Meanwhile kids are in the truck till it's time to go boating.

NO ONE is allowed in my truck when parked on the ramp except for the driver, (usually me).

No Kids, No GrandKids. I the brakes fail then I lose the truck. But No way will I let ANYONE else sit in it.

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My dad would still be blaming me for his lost truck! As the story begins: You wanna know why I never buy new vehicles...

And then he would have proceeded to complain about the launch being weedy hah!

Other people's misfortunes are always funny to me unless something serious happens. Unfortunately this mistake costs us all in insurance premium hikes. This guy needs to skip the real-man fun and go back to eating his sushi in a 5 star.

jkust

Rear Admiral

An old colleague of mine did this with a brand new tow vehicle. Drove it home from the dealer, hooked up the boat, drove to the boat launch and proceded to forget to put it in park when he got out to push the boat off the trailer. It had under 50 miles on it and was totaled. It was a Toyota and he ended up getting a better deal when he rebought the same vehicle and pocketed some $ to boot. That is a nice looking Denali.

daveytheone

Cadet

Everybody thinks they have all the answers, until they are in that position, then I'm sure it would be a different story.

S**t happens. You can replace a Denali, you can't replace a child.