skeg gaurd a good idea for a boat or a waste of money

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: skeg gaurd a good idea for a boat or a waste of money

Great if you have a damaged skeg...... if your present skeg is on one piece and good shape..... save your money.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just saved my *** this weekend.

Hit a rock and only damaged the guard...off to get a new one :)

jkust

Rear Admiral

I was just pondering this on our vacation this week. My skeg took two almost standing still hits on rock and sand. One from rushing at the ramp and reversing right into the shallows away from the ramp the other from the anchor giving and out drifting too shallow. No damange on the skeg but wears the bottom edge. The alum prop however took two very small chips on two blades during ramp incident. Do you have to actually screw into the skeg to hold the Skeg Guard on?

erikgreen

Captain

Depends on the skeg guard, but the more solid ones do bolt on.

If you damage your skeg, a guard may preserve it, and putting one on may help preserve the sale price of your motor or lower unit.

I broke my skeg off completely in an accident on the highway, and my boat hasn't steered at idle for anything. Big problem for me since I drive slow an awful lot.

I tried to get it welded on, but it held for a while then came off again.

Now I've bolted on a replacement that's held with 11 stainless steel bolts, epoxy putty, fiberglass fairing, and cored with composite rock.

It might work, or I might need to buy a new lower unit.

I really, really wish I'd gotten a skeg guard when I got the boat. Even in the accident, I might have kept my skeg.

Erik

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

My dealer told me that if I put one on - even an adhesive - I void my warranty on the motor. If the warranty was gone I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I still have 4 years left so no guard for me.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Depends on the skeg guard, but the more solid ones do bolt on.

If you damage your skeg, a guard may preserve it, and putting one on may help preserve the sale price of your motor or lower unit.

I broke my skeg off completely in an accident on the highway, and my boat hasn't steered at idle for anything. Big problem for me since I drive slow an awful lot.

I tried to get it welded on, but it held for a while then came off again.

Now I've bolted on a replacement that's held with 11 stainless steel bolts, epoxy putty, fiberglass fairing, and cored with composite rock.

It might work, or I might need to buy a new lower unit.

I really, really wish I'd gotten a skeg guard when I got the boat. Even in the accident, I might have kept my skeg.

Erik

No need to do that, a good marine mechanic or prop shop should be able weld up a new skeg for you...well..after they clean off your home reno. :D

Ian