1st time boat owner woes

wheelin

Cadet
my 20 yr old son purchased a 1986 Capri Bowrider 1650 with a Volvo AQ131A

2nd trip out....
It overheats at 3-5 minutes of wide-open...slow down and putt, temp goes back down.....Is it the water-pump?.....we've worked on lots of cars and bikes, but never a boat

2nd...Battery charging issues....doesn't seem to re-charge as it runs....should it?...

If the boat is idling on trailer , and i pull the positive wire off the battery, motor dies....should it?...do they have alternators like a car?

we did buy a factory service manual, but its confusing....ughh

ps....its 93 in Wash st today....i wanna be on the lake

wheelin

Cadet
Re: 1st time boat owner woes

Thanks Bubba

How easy it it to replace the raw water impeller?...is it located on the motor or the out-drive?

Why not use an automotive alternator? (just curious)

skargo

Banned

An automotive alternator is NOT ignition protected, and can blow your boat and your butt right out of the water.

captmello

Captain

go to this link, type in aq131a in the engine type box. there should be some more info there.

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marine_leisure_engines/parts_service/publication_search/publication_search.htm

Raw water impeller is on the front of the motor in a round housing with water lines going in and out.

Sometimes the old Volvos can suck air at the outdrive when the boat is on plane. check the intake hose and connection on the outdrive for corrosion.

Remember, its just a modified car motor. Take your time to learn your way around.

Good Luck.:)

wheelin

Cadet

ok...i pulled the cover off the raw water pump and inspected it....the rubber impeller WOULD NOT spin by hand....Do I need to pull the impeller out to see if its good or bad?....How can I tell if its bad?

Thanks in advance

oh...and thanks for the info on the alternator....DEFINATELY A THING TO KNOW

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to Iboats! Impellers should be replaced every 2-3 years, as your son becomes more exp. he will know when its time by always keeping an eye on the gaiges, impellers tend to (dry rot) break apart, that would be a good sign to look for.

wheelin

Cadet

The impeller "looked" ok, but I'm no expert....Is there any way to actually check if its good or bad?

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

If you inspected the impeller and has a good feel to it (No Cracking) How does it look?