I couldnt keep my mouth shut

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: I couldnt keep my mouth shut

Did you have the "magic grits?"

(My Cousin Vinny reference that is priceless!)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are several type of grits, the fine ground type the southerns like, and the yankee hominy grits, that swell up. true southern grits are slow cooked for about one hour, they become a creamy and thick, you must add salt to them when you start to cook them, or you will never get enough salt. they are great with butter, gravy, over easy over eggs, mashed and mixed with them and fresh bacon, broken in to it. (my favorite)

a lot of people in the south, with northern roots, like to add sugar, etc. properly cooked it is very much like cream of wheat.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have had grits that I liked and grits that I would rather starve than eat. No one statement seems to be able to cover all grits.

skargo

Banned

Wow, you got upset over a few bimbo's words.

Sounds like someone is still mad the south lost. :D

zoe'sdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They eat grits up north. Resturants call it Polenta and charge more for it! Never came across a resturant in California that served sweet tea.

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

You all are making me hungry for a big old plate of chitlins with some turnip greens and grits. And maybe a side of lima beans or brussel sprouts and a big old plate of biscuits and gravy.

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

Grits with butter,surgar ,and a little milk in them with buttery toast. YUM,YUM. I'm from northern Indiana and like them but a lot of people say I sound like I'm southern. Must get it from my mom.

Wow, you got upset over a few bimbo's words.

Sounds like someone is still mad the south lost. :D

The comment about "the south lost" is ok here on a forum but I dont think it would fly to say it out loud is many of the places locals here eat, and I dont think you would. The point is people should not be rude and offend others where they are in someones house other than their own.. I wonder what would happin if I were to go to some Philly dinner and start talking about the "philly cheese steak" being slop and the people that eat them pigs........I would be lucky to leave alive...................and you know its so....lol

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I find that is a big difference between north and south. An average northerner won't wait until after they get up to speak up.

Being a northerner (Maine) who moved to N Carolina, here are some things I have noticed:

- People think I moved here because of the people.. the people can vanish, I moved here for the weather!
- I don't understand the fascination with grits.. it's goop.
- Sweet Tea isn't a southern creation, it's what we call 'Iced Tea' elsewhere. Sweet tea up north would mean (if we even used the term) tea with sugar.
- THE CIVIL WAR IS OVER and I didn't fight in it!
- There are other methods of cooking other than frying! (They even fry turkeys here!)
- Southern people will lie to their last breathe to your face, but talk smack to your back all day long. (there are plenty of northerners like this, but seemingly almost ALL southerners)

My observations since moving here (most were noticed the day I arrived)

skargo

Banned

The comment about "the south lost" is ok here on a forum but I dont think it would fly to say it out loud is many of the places locals here eat, and I dont think you would. The point is people should not be rude and offend others where they are in someones house other than their own.. I wonder what would happin if I were to go to some Philly dinner and start talking about the "philly cheese steak" being slop and the people that eat them pigs........I would be lucky to leave alive...................and you know its so....lol

Gee, some people are mature enough to let idiots be idiots, others want to join them ;)

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I personally think food in the south is the best that the US has to offer. I had one friend who moved out here from California and said he had never heard of sweet tea until he moved out here. Is this true? No sweet tea anywhere but the south? If so, I'm sorry.

Sweet tea has something to do with hot weather ... and is refered to as Ice tea up north ... lol I'm a Canuk (Canada) with Fla roots and I do looove typical southern food ... like fried chicken with gravy, Griiiitts, (lol) Hush puppies ... and fried catfish .... but my doctor keeps on telling me to switch to New England style food ... wonder why ??? ROFL

pinecrestwoods

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm from the "Midwest," so my opinion probably doesn't count on this- I'm just plain ol' hick. The only smack-talk I've EVER heard regarding a north/south divide has been when I'm in the "south"...... what gives? The "south" is the only place I've seen the nifty bumper stickers, t-shirts, and flags that seem to promote a separatist ideology. Regarding the OP.... the "ladies" should have thought about what they were saying.... perhaps their first time away from the coop ;). I've heard questions about whether we in NE have running water and electricity.... sheesh..... I just find it humorous, and dismiss it as unbelievable ignorance. Just my observations... whatever they're worth.

eavega

Lieutenant

I was born and raised in the south, and still live here. I can't stand grits. Then again, I can't stand any kind of gritty food. Pears turn my stomach, as do Tamales if the corn meal isn't well dissolved.

BTW to one of the previous posters; don't knock deep fried turkeys until you try some. Best bird you've ever had!

-ERic

jbjennings

Captain

I noticed while up North a couple of years ago buying a coondog, that a lot of convenience stores had these "dried trout" thingys in the deli section. They truly looked like rotten whole fish that were like 20 years old. I would NEVER eat one of those.
Sadly, I also noticed up north that things were a lot neater. The roads were clean, the yards all were freshly mowed and no junk in the yard no matter if it were a wealthy person's house or a middle class person's house, or whatever.
JBJ

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Having been born just outside of NYC and having lived all over the US, I guess I can offer a qualified opinion here.

First, people are people - they come in all sizes, shapes, colors and demeanors. When you get past the superficial issues, they are all the same. They have similar desires for themselves and most just want a better life for their kids. Some areas are known for being more open and warm than others, but friendship is just a conversation away in most places. One universal disqualifier for friendship, however, is to develop a "superior" attitude about something.

On food, each area tends to have items that it has become very good at. Philly Cheese Steaks just aren't the same anywhere else. Don't ask for a Milkshake in Boston, unless you want flavored milk - ask for a Frappe there! If it were only for the bread, a Po-Boy in New Orleans would be a Grinder, a Sub, a Hero, or something with a half a million other names. In New Orleans, you "gotta" try a half-n-half with "ersters" and shrimp, seasoned "just so!" Back in the day, I used to get cheese pizza at a little joint under the stairs to the Staten Island Ferry. You couldn't get it with any toppings - just cheese and it was sold by the slice. It also was better than se .... well, no it wasn't, but it was close! Mr grandaddy used to make a clam chowder with fresh Rhode Island clams, that would knock your socks off! It was usually served with Flounder that had been swimming that morning, and farm fresh corn. Don't get me started on my mama's potato salad, or her freshly picked Beefsteak Tomatoes, straight out of her garden in Rhode Island! In northern California, Abalone, sliced thin, breaded and saute'd, just rocks!

My whole problem is that I want to live everywhere. I want to know all sorts of different people. I want to get to know their customs, eat their food and enjoy their lifestyles. Oh, well - I guess I will just have to hope that reincarnation does exist!

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

crap, now i'm hungry...so much for the diet...THANKS GUYS!

north of the mason dixon, and love grits, biscuits and gravy, catfish, chitlins, scrapple and barbecue.
as or the philly cheesteak thing, c'mon! people pound on each other for where it came from (Geno's or Pat's)! half of this area never heard of grits...and don't know what they're missing!
as long as we don't get into the "chili" debate, we can all be friends!:D

jack1130

Seaman Apprentice

I'm from the middle of the country so I can joke about both....

Couple of years ago my family and I went on a Make-A Wish trip for my oldest daughter (she's doing well now); we left from Cape Canaveral on Disney trip and I swear the ship had just stopped in NYC and picked up half of the town. Anyhow, very pushy and rude crowd...sat next to a couple from Mississippi on the way home that couldn't have been nicer.

I have since met a few New Yorkers to repair their image, though.

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Grits are good with butter. dont know about the grape jelly. No judgement so ill try it before i knock it.
I used to driver long haul truck and there is good food all over this country, canada too. but I have to say the best is "Good Ole Southern BBQ"
I stopped the truck in the middle of the road one time and ran in to a little Mom and Pops place to some. Those places are the best.

The BBQ statement made me chuckle... Up north when they cook a burger on the grill it's called BBQ and not burgers off the grill. BBQ in the south consists of anything cooked with hickory... Yep got to go check on the ribs.Soaking some hickory for tomorrows butts:D

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dooma;

Can i get directions to the ribs please?