1988ish Mercruiser 5.7 Overheat

85well248

Cadet
Hello all. Wondering if I could get some ideas here. I recently (last Friday) picked up a 85 wellcraft 248 that has a single Merc 5.7 I/O. Got it for cheap, engine needed a bit of work. I was told by the previous owner that the engine overheated two seasons ago, he shut it down, had the impeller replaced and blocked it up from then on, never saw water again.

Before i purchased it I was able to get the engine running but it overheated. I planned to do some major work to get it in shape again.

I think it's around an 1988 5.7. Serial starts with 0b9

Here's what I found. Compression was good on all but #1, it was at 225. No water in oil. # 1 exhaust port had a crack, allowing water in, as a result I pulled and replaced both heads. Piston tops and cylinder walls in good shape.
Before replacing the heads I removed a bunch of scale from the block by way of screw driver, air compressor, water, and time. Pretty clear in there now.

List of new items.

Heads
Risers and manifolds (GLM)
Thermostat housing (GLM) and check balls
Thermostat
Circulating pump (MES)
Ignition, cap, rotor, wires, plugs but not relevant here

After putting the engine back together I got it running to find the same overheat scenario on muffs.

When the thermostat is out the engine runs cool, 120 ish. With it in the guage shows between 160 and 240, probably around 220.
this is a 140 degree thermostat and I've tried a few different ones, including different styles. Wide base and narrower spring base types.

The engine itself doesn't seem too hot. Risers are cold, manifolds cool. Hoses to risers cold. Hoses to manifolds warm, Large circulating pump hose, very warm, Thermostat housing very warm/hot.

I pulled the lower unit off and checked the water pump, seems like it was new, as the previous owner stated.

The Temp Sending unit seems to show everything from cold to hot but I don't know if it's accurate, and not sure how often these fail, or what the symptoms are of failure.

I disconnected the water hose at the transom (inside) ran engine and saw water coming out but not a hard pressure stream, more like a basic flow. Not sure what it should be.

Couldn't get the inlet side of the hose off the power steering cooler yet. I did back flush it from the circulating pump hose to the transom hose when I had it off. Seemed ok.

I've never had a 5.7 Merc before so I don't know what to expect here.

Can I expect it to run cool off of muffs?
Could having the thermostat in place coupled with limited water pressure/volume of a garden hose offer enough restriction to have the engine over heat?

Left over possibilities as I see it.
Garden hose/muffs, not ample
Water pump wasn't working properly (haven't put the new one in yet)
Bad Temp sending unit
Bad Guage
Restriction in oil cooler, though it back flowed pretty well.
Block restricted, Although I cleared it out pretty good.

I can't get it in the water yet to test. Rather have it running well in the driveway frst anyway.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1988ish Mercruiser 5.7 Overheat

Water pump wasn't working properly (haven't put the new one in yet)
Bad Temp sending unit
Bad Guage

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Those are My 3 Guesses....

The rubber of the Impeller has probably taken a Set over the last 2 years,+ it's Supposed to be a Flexible vane pump...

The motor don't Sound Hot, by your discription, which might indicate a Bad reading off your gauge...
Got an IR Tempgun,..??

85well248

Cadet

Bond-o

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a IR temp gun, I may try and find one locally. Wonder if Sears or a big box would have one. Would be a good addition to have and helpful here. How accurate would a reading be from say the thermostat housing as compared to the actual water in there?

I spent some time last night removing the bell housing, bellows, and shift cable. Things did get pretty hot as the exhaust bellows was missing. What was left had been burned up. Also burned up was the water hose and ujoint bellows. These weren't burned through though. Additionally there was a chafe/burn on the jacket of the shift cable.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to work on it tonight and get it the drive back on.

My manual, which is a clymer, states to replace the exhaust bellows with a tube on these v8/alpha combos. What are your thoughts on that? I already have the new exhaust bellows half way on. If there's good reason I'll do it but since I already have the part I'd rather use it.

MikDee

Banned

First make sure thw raw water hose from the outdrive to the outer hull (outdrive transom plate) is in good shape, and not kinked at the bend where it goes inside the hull to feed the P.S.Cooler, & water pump. The kinking is sometimes an issue on these. Next, it is your choice what bellows you want, it don't matter, just that the exhaust tube is cheaper, & easier to put on, and gives you a little extra V8 sound, if you want.

85well248

Cadet

I'm pretty sure the hose from the transom to the cooler isn't kinked or blocked. I will double check it though.

I picked up an IR gun so once I get the drive back together and on, ill run her and let you know what I find.

Good to know about the exhaust tube, maybe once the new one goes I'll take that route. I asked because my manual stated mercruiser found the exhaust bellows effected performance poorly, that's why they switched it. Since I never had this configuration, I'm ignorant on this.

MikDee

Banned

I'm pretty sure the hose from the transom to the cooler isn't kinked or blocked. I will double check it though.

I picked up an IR gun so once I get the drive back together and on, ill run her and let you know what I find.

Good to know about the exhaust tube, maybe once the new one goes I'll take that route. I asked because my manual stated mercruiser found the exhaust bellows effected performance poorly, that's why they switched it. Since I never had this configuration, I'm ignorant on this.

Not the hose from the transom to the cooler, outside the boat, under the bell housing, follow the raw water hose from the impeller pump outlet on the drive, to the transom plate where it goes in,,, it bends there, make sure that's not kinked.

And I never heard of an exhaust bellows affecting peformance negatively? :rolleyes: That's a new one on me, what manual is that?

85well248

Cadet

Not the hose from the transom to the cooler, outside the boat, under the bell housing, follow the raw water hose from the impeller pump outlet on the drive, to the transom plate where it goes in,,, it bends there, make sure that's not kinked.

And I never heard of an exhaust bellows affecting peformance negatively? :rolleyes: That's a new one on me, what manual is that?

Gotcha, I am in the process of replacing that hose along with both bellows and shift cable. That hose was burned up a bit. Not through but pretty nasty.

Clymer manual. I was just reading it again and noticed it states on early V8 Mercruiser Alpha one models with a drive shaft extension. Not sure what the drive shaft extension is, maybe a jackshaft or something.

Anyway it says it creates excessive exhaust back pressure which affects perfomance. also causes the exhaust bellows to ballon which can cause the ujoint bellows to rub against the ujoints. This could chafe and weaken the bellows to a point where a leak could occur.

85well248

Cadet

After disassembling the drive I found the water pocket housing really melted. So much that the screws are nearly covered in melted plastic. The water tube still fit in the hole but I'm wondering if this melted part is the smoking gun. I'm gonna head down to the local Merc shop and see if they have the parts. Don't know how the heck I'm getting the old one out though:) May have to melt it around the screws and get some clearance around for a socket. Any idea what size those bolts are?

85well248

Cadet

OK so, in a bit better shape now.

Had the drive off while waiting for the water pocket cover kit. Ran my garden hose directly to the water hose off the transom. Ran engine, guage read as overheating after a while, compared with new IR gun. Engine was good.
Replaced sender, much better...but

Got the drive back on with new pocket cover, water pump kit, new water hose from bell housing to gimbal. I noticed when on muffs the engine would get too hot. I'f I adjusted the muffs it cools.

Put it in the water and it's pretty good at about 150 (142 thermostat) Ran it open (couldn't make wot, max about 3300 another story I'll start a new thread) temp was consistent. Let it run at the dock (while waiting out nasty lighting) and noticed it was getting hot. Reved it up a bit and it cools right down. Any thoughts on that?

Like the volume from the drive just isn't sufficient.

New impeller (full kit), tube is in place, new circulating pump, new thermostat housing and thermostat, new heads, cleaned up passages in block.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

sounds like a chunk of crud some were not alowing the water to pass?
rob

85well248

Cadet

I guess but seemed pretty consistent. If I brought it up just 200 more RPM above idle it would cool down. And cool quick, from 200 to 160 in a few seconds.
I guess the last place to check it the PS cooler, I only back flushed it, didn't do more than that.