"Slim" 2-Pole Breakers

i386

Captain
I'm setting up a workshop and thinking ahead...

I think it would be better to run the bigger shop tools on 240V. I have one single-pole breaker with nothing on it. Thinking about putting in a 20A 2-pole slim breaker in that spot and running some 12 guage for a few 24V outlets.

I've never used the slim breakers before. Anyone have anything bad to say about 'em? Do they get hot? This is a small shop. None of the big tools need to be ran at the same time.

Andy in NY

Commander
Re: "Slim" 2-Pole Breakers

I'm setting up a workshop and thinking ahead...

I think it would be better to run the bigger shop tools on 240V. I have one single-pole breaker with nothing on it. Thinking about putting in a 20A 2-pole slim breaker in that spot and running some 12 guage for a few 24V outlets.

I've never used the slim breakers before. Anyone have anything bad to say about 'em? Do they get hot? This is a small shop. None of the big tools need to be ran at the same time.

You cannot do what you propose. most things that operate on 240 are high amperage devices and require dedicated circuits.

Besides, most things that require 240 ate at least 30 amp... not saying that there arent any 20 amp, but MOST require at least 30.

Wiring like what you are talking about is alot more involved than you think it is... if you panel is that full then you either have a small panel (which would most likely only be rated for 100 amps) or alot of circuits.

In a perfect world you would have your panel upgraded to a bigger one and have your service upgraded to 200 amp if you dont already have it. then, run a 60 amp sub panel to your shop.

ridefst

Seaman Apprentice

There's no such thing as a two pole slim breaker.
Both outputs from that slim breaker will be from the same leg of the box, so it will not be possible to get 240V across the two.
The only way to get 240V is to use up two spaces in the box.

You might be able to replace two existing single pole breakers with a slim "twin" breaker to get an extra space though.

240V is nice though, for items that can run on 110 or 220/240 you'll draw a lot less amps, so you could put more devices on a circuit without overloading.
Things like air compressor, large drill press, table saw, etc are good candidates for this.
Welder, plasma, lathe and such should probably have dedicated circuits though.

i386

Captain

The shop is in the house in the basement. The table saw I'm looking at buying can run on 120 or 240 depending on how you wire the motor. It's setup for 120V from the factory. The manual for the saw says 20A breaker. Just thought it would be better to run 240V. I can add a sub panel if I have to. Need to check on my service and see what I have.

i386

Captain

There's no such thing as a two pole slim breaker.
Both outputs from that slim breaker will be from the same leg of the box, so it will not be possible to get 240V across the two.
The only way to get 240V is to use up two spaces in the box.

You might be able to replace two existing single pole breakers with a slim "twin" breaker to get an extra space though.

Aah that makes sense.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A twin breaker will not supply 240 volts. However they make quad breakers the fit 4 breakers into two slots that can supply 240 volts to two circuits or 120 to four circuits.