What tools on board for an I/O ??

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK what do you throw in your fixit bag ?? First time I/O owner here Mercurser engine

Just dont want to be out on the lake and go CRAP !! If i only had a .....

dodgeramsst2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What tools on board for an I/O ??

I keep a basic tool set consisting of standard sockets ( regular and deep), standard wrench set, screwdrivers, crescent wrenches, hammer, wire strippers and crimps, wire connectors,duct tape ( don't laugh, you should have it too) needle nose pliers, regular pliers, spark plug socket, misc extensions. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things. If you have a points ignition system, a set of points is a good idea as well as a new fuel filter, starting fluid ( works in a pinch, but I really don't like to use it). Basically think of anything that can go wrong on the lake that can be fixed on the lake and have the proper tools. Remember, you can't fix everything out there, and some situations will require a tow.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Just the obvious. Spark pluck socket and ratchet, sockets for all the usual sizes, a tube of 4200, some stainless wire, some para chord, zip ties, screw drivers, a few wrenches that I know I might need, allen keys for Bimini top. A very sharp knike that stays in the pocket of my seat (I once caught a rope with my prop and had to cut it real fast). Take the basic stuff and make a list as you go for things you see you might need next time. The rule is once you have the stuff to fix it, it wont break!

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK now thats what i was looking for. THanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Twintrades -- in looking at your description of the type of boat you have you indicate its a V6 inline 6. Its one or the other -- can't be both. You actually have an inline six (all six cylinders in-line and all spark plugs on the same side of the engine). A V6 is built like a V8 but with two cylinders missing. There are three plugs on one side of the engine and 3 on the other. Just a point of clarification.

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class

Twintrades -- in looking at your description of the type of boat you have you indicate its a V6 inline 6. Its one or the other -- can't be both. You actually have an inline six (all six cylinders in-line and all spark plugs on the same side of the engine). A V6 is built like a V8 but with two cylinders missing. There are three plugs on one side of the engine and 3 on the other. Just a point of clarification.

Silvertip, I know what a v6 looks like. Ive rebuilt engines before I have a straight 6 mecruser engine. ( Looks like a chevy) The Boat model is a V-sonic.

Its labeld on the back transom of the boat. Just to clairify :D

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I carried a toolbox out on the first few trips I made on my boat, I dont have room for much so I dont carry them anyway.
Beside's when my fuel pump dies I dont have one to put back on there anyway. :rolleyes:

I dont get the inline 6 & V6 on the back of the boat, so you have the wrong drive leg on there or you just want to perpetuate a falsehood ?
Meh, good luck on the water.

skargo

Banned

Silvertip, I know what a v6 looks like. Ive rebuilt engines before I have a straight 6 mecruser engine. ( Looks like a chevy) The Boat model is a V-sonic.

Its labeld on the back transom of the boat. Just to clairify :D

Yeah but you still don't have a v6 :confused:

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

I purchased one of those Craftman tool sets in the blow molded case. In a small toolbox are the spare plugs, wire, wire ties, duct tape, electrical connector plies and fittings.

I also have a spare prop & prop wrench plus extra of all the hardware on the back of the prop. Your spare prop won't be of any use if you drop the hardware in the water :eek:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

A good tip that I heard a long time ago was if you are replacing your alternator (fan belt...ahem) buy a second one and put the back up belt in place behind the motor mounts and let it hang there..IF your main belt goes bad, you simply loosen the alt and pull on the new one without messing with the motor mount or any other bracket obstacle..

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hehe the Phrase V-sonic is just a name for the boats model. It has nothing at all to do with the engine. The engine Is a straight 6.

DSCN1871.jpg

DSCN1870.jpg

skargo

Banned

Hehe the Phrase V-sonic is just a name for the boats model. It has nothing at all to do with the engine. The engine Is a straight 6.

DSCN1871.jpg

DSCN1870.jpg

I don't see where it says v6, like in your sig.

a70eliminator

Captain

I just have my handy dandy multi-tool and it covers all the basics, I boat inland lakes and I try to not think about the... what if this... what if that... I try to keep everything tip top, I had a toolbox with some sockets and stuff but they started rusting up on me because I never had to use them.

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow Sorry you guys WHAT A BRAIN FART !!! for some reason i wasnt looking at my sig right and now i see where i have V6 written. I modifyed it late in the evening. Its changed now...... Durrrrrrrrrr yup !

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a canvas bag with the typical wrenches/sockets, screw drivers etc. One thing I did when building the kit is I used the "boat tools" to performany boat maintenance @ my house. If I ran into something I didn't have in the kit and had to retrieve it from garage set I added that tool. Ran across a couple socket head allen wrench sockets and couple other things that way specific to my boat.

skargo

Banned

Wow Sorry you guys WHAT A BRAIN FART !!! for some reason i wasnt looking at my sig right and now i see where i have V6 written. I modifyed it late in the evening. Its changed now...... Durrrrrrrrrr yup !

HAHA, you had me confused. :D