Volvo overheating!

lillbush

Seaman
I have a volvo penta AQ225E with a 275 outdrive. The motor is running hot on muffs and when it is in the water it will run cool if the throttle is 1/2 or UNDER if it is over 1/2 it overheats. The impeller is new, just installed a new water pump as well. Just seems like im not getting much water out of the outlet hoses and a good amount out of the exhaust flapper. Used to be reverse untill I redid the lower unit seals. Did I maybe block a water jacket or something? This one has me scratching my head. Because it didnt start doing this untill I replaced the seals. Then I was like oh my water pump went so I slapped a new one on there and still nothing. I checked the impeller as well and it looks good. Any thoughts?

Matt

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo overheating!

Have you pulled the risers off recently? Its hard to block the intake with the orings but who knows. When it gets hot are the risers getting hot as well? Thermostat new?

lillbush

Seaman

Have you pulled the risers off recently? Its hard to block the intake with the orings but who knows. When it gets hot are the risers getting hot as well? Thermostat new?

Thermo isnt new. I am affraid to pull the risers off last time I tried and broke a bolt then tried to use a easy out and that broke. The risers are getting warm yes.

captmello

Captain

The motor is running hot on muffs and when it is in the water it will run cool if the throttle is 1/2 or UNDER if it is over 1/2 it overheats.

When on the water at half throttle, do you mean running at half throttle or standing and reving the engine in place?

captmello

Captain

sorry I was unclear. When at the lake are you moving at planing speed or stopped in nuetral, revving the motor?

captmello

Captain

A common problem with the older volvos, is that they can develop air leaks between the outdrive and the pump on the crankshaft. the most common it a leak on the hose fitting on top of the intermediate assembly where the hose that goes to the transom hook to the drive. Check that fitting for corrosion and make sure the fitting it bolted down tight. If that is all good, You may want to drop the lower unit and make sure the oring a the bottom of the pivit tube is good (you mentioned resealing, did you do the work yourself?)

I have to admit to having this issue as well. I can cruise all day at 2800-3000 without a problem, but if I go WOT it gets hot.

However, I have not had any problems running on muffs.

I guess if I were you, I'd check the hose fitting I mentioned, get a new gasket and replace it. If that doesn't help, drop the lower unit and check that one. Remember if you drop the lower you should replace all three orings regardless of how they look.

Make sure to check back with your results and any questions.:)

BTW, change the thermo too.