changed impeller, cannot re-install bottom end

FeelTheThunder

Recruit
I changed my impeller on my 1976 merc 85 hp 4 cylinder.

Everything went well until I went to re-install the bottom end.

I put it in forward before removing and I cannot seem to get it back in the last 3/4" or so. I carefully got the water shaft in and the shift shaft appears to be in but the bottom end will not go up that last little bit. Around 5/8" or 3/4" to go. Something is stopping it and I don't know what. Also does the shift shaft have to be in any particular position, it can turn about 3/4 of a turn in either direction, I am not sure what this does.

cmillerarizona

Recruit
Re: changed impeller, cannot re-install bottom end

You need to turn the prop to line up the splines on the drive shaft, make sure you were in forward when you took it off, make sure you didnt turn the little shift rod on the lower end.

FeelTheThunder

Recruit

I have already tried turning the prop with no luck, it only turns one way. I already have turned the shift shaft on the bottom end. I thought that was stopping it from going in.

If this is the first time you have done this dont get too upset that it doesnt just slide back together real easy. Everything has to be in perfect alignment and its common to take extra time. It took me several hours of foolin with my 30 hp to get it back up tight. Take your time ,remove it back down .use a light to look up into the upper housing and check the water tube position too. Wipe down the shaft splines with a little grease which can help.Mine had an O ring at the top and if it comes off and becomes compressed inside of the upper spline slot it wont go all the way up. I used a flashlight and a small wooden dial rod the make sure this area had nothing in the way to block the shaft....dont rush

DVTO2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On my 115 we put the bottom shift cam in neutral (and the shift controller in neutral as well) and then rotated the flywheel to get the splines to line up. It took two people, one of them more knowledgeable than myself, to get this to work.

Jim662

Seaman Apprentice

When I did my 1150, the transmission linkage was off ever-so-slightly. It was keeping the motor from going in the last 1/2". I had my daughter push the gear shift forward a tiny amount -- maybe an inch or less -- and it went right in. This wasn't enough to give me a problme with the motor always being in one gear or another.

Another time, when I had the power head off, the transmission linkage rod had moved out of its hole. You might take a look at that too to make sure that it is where it should be so that the transmission shaft can go into the hole fully.

matt246

Cadet

hi there i had exactly the same problem with my 65 hp mercury i put it in forward and the controls in forward and it didnt go in the last bit so i put it in reverse and controls in reverse and it worked no problem try that:D

Bayliner101

Cadet

DVTO2 is right, we did the same thing on my 1977 850 thunderbolt, put the shift cam in neutral and your shifter in neutral, as you slide the lower unit up in to place and you get to where the lower unit is about 3/4" of it fitting tight you will need somebody to turn the flywheel slowly until the lower unti slides right into place, only tighten a few bolts and check the operation of the shifter, have somebody shift it into forward and the propellar should only turn one direction, then shift into neutral and it should spin freely in both directions and then shift it in to reverse and it should only turn in both directions ever so slightly, if this doesn't happen as i have explained then your shift linkage is off:)