Should a person feel guilty paying asking price for a boat?

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer
This past Friday I picked up a 1970 Alumacraft 14' vhull the a 1970 Evinrude and the back that is spotless. This was well taken care of and not a spot of grease or new parts under the cowling. I paid him what he asked for knowing full well that I have got a steal on it. He was an older gentleman that just didnt use it anymore but, I still feel guilty of paying someone less than 25% of what its worth.

Adam

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Should a person feel guilty paying asking price for a boat?

You shouldnt feel guilty about paying anything if you paid what he was asking. He was asking a certain price and you paid the price......in my opinion unless you actually stole it from the old man why feel guilty? You got a good deal(so you hope) and he got paid for something that was only collecting dust and rust because he was no longer using it. Congrats on the good deal, I hope it all works out well, but I wouldn't feel guilty for getting a good deal from someone, I am sure the man new what he wanted in cash.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

Since I don't like to see people feeling guilty, cut me a check for the balance of what it is worth and both of us will feel better.

The fair price is always the least that the seller is willing to accept and the maximum that the buyer is willing to pay. Sometimes we get a bargain by paying less than we would, and sometimes we get paid more than we were willing to accept.

Simple answer, no. You should not feel bad for paying the asking price. I always prefer to pay the asking price or not buy if I feel it is too much. I don't like to "negotiate" what someone feels is their selling price. I do enough of that for a living.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

maybe he just wanted a quick sale and now gets to think he helped someone get a boat for a great price.
nothing to be guilty about.

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't feel bad. I'm sure the man expected to get less for it than he was asking. Also, just like someone else mentioned, you don't know what his motives are. So take it as a win for you, and a win for him getting what he asked for it.

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

Well thanks guys I figured that he just wanted it gone. $350 was a great price for the Boat, Motor, Trailer, 2 spare props, 5 Jackets, and more. I will post pics later of this fine craft. Haven't had it in the water yet but, this week looks mighty fine.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I have found that our seasoned citizens tend to price things lower than the going rate. Either they have not adjusted to inflation from their earlier days, or they just want to get rid of stuff.

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

I woundn't let it bother me.
You both got what you wanted.
Soooo, where are the pics?

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Don't feel guilty. When I sell stuff, primarily on Craigslist, I price it to sell. I get it out of my way and the buyer gets a good deal. Win - Win.

I also list some stuff on the Free board, just to save me the hassle of having to pay someone else to pick it up.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Fell into a couple deals like that myself. But being the negotiating type, I already knew it was a deal, paid, and went home happy.
I think sometimes, the older people just like to see the look on someones face that brings back a little happy memory of their own.
He might have watched you pull out with that boat and remeniced about when HE first did the same.

Happy fishing.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

A fair price is what the seller accepts. You are not forcing it from him. He can always say no. Many sellers have that look of "Well, I *could* get more for it", but they are accepting the deal because they are avoiding the hassle and risk of finding someone willing to pay more. Time is money, and that is what many sellers are considering when you make that offer. When I bought our Blazer, I offered considerably less than the seller was expecting, but won out when I began walking away from the table. Sellers don't want to lose an opportunity and will pay you for the chance to sell to you in the ofrm of a lower price.

You made a full asking price offer, which means got what you wanted and the seller got what (likely more than) he wanted for it. Win-Win.

Not everyone wants just money for their stuff. Sometimes a buyer's smile or just getting rid of something is the motivating factor in an asking price. Just as sometimes the motivating factor in buying something is not always price.

Fly Rod

Commander

You paid him what he was asking.

There should be no guilt, none.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

7 years ago I sold my 1987 20" foot Bayliner for $2500 to my neighbor. I may have been able to get between $4K and $5k but felt better that if something went wrong with the OMC Cobra drive or anything else, he got such a good buy that he wouldn't be knocking on my door some night complaining. I told him what could go wrong but that I priced in a lot of repair if it did.

Maybe the old guy felt the same way as I did. If something goes wrong, you got such a good buy that he knows he will never hear from you again!

Shizzy

Ensign

Maybe the old guy felt the same way as I did. If something goes wrong, you got such a good buy that he knows he will never hear from you again!

thats why I price things the way I do.

I also paid the asking price for my boat ($750) but I also felt I was getting a good deal and felt no need to negotiate. Everything was as stated and he ran the motor in a bucket for me.

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like the sort of deal that sparks a true friendship.

See if you can take him fishing or stop by with pics of the kids having fun on the boat.

That's how you make up for stealing the boat.

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

All right here are some bad photos...

0623090800.jpg

0623090800a.jpg

0623090800b.jpg

Sorry for the Bad Cell phone pics but hope to replace them later.

Adam

mphy98

Lieutenant

don't feel guilty at all. I got my Canadian fishing boat free from and older gentleman. He just wanted to make sure it got a good home. He wouldn't even take a free dinner at a nice resteraunt for it. Sure I put some work into it but he could have gotten 2 grand easily for it. He was in his 80's and bought it new, just wanted his baby to have a good home. I see him from time to time and still try to get him to go out for dinner and he says no, seeing the boat having a good home with kids is payment enough.

aspeck

Staff member

It all depends on the circumstances. But most probably, no, you should not feel guilty. He may enjoy a follow-up, as was stated, to know it went to a "good home." Maybe take him fishing. I have befriended several seniors who gave, or sold at a ridiculously low price, hunting and fishing equipment. Most want to still participate in the sport, but have no one to take them. I sure have learned a lot from them over the years. So look for opportunities to "pay him back" for the great deal he gave you. You will win in the end.

Bob1958

Seaman Apprentice

I think you did the right thing. Some folks feel the need to bargain everything, regardless of the asking price. I don't....in fact I paid the asking price on a used car last year, from a dealer no less. The price was just over wholesale, the car impeccable, and I just asked him to put new brake shoes on. I didn't feel guilty at all.

Shizzy

Ensign

Is that an FD? you stole that thing....... :eek: