Do I Need Dual Steering Cables?

SteuryLover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello to everyone here on iBoats. Have a quick question but it may be a loaded one.

I have a 18'4" Steury Deep V Center Console I am repowering with a 99 Mercury XR6150. My previous motor was a single cable steering setup so I have one cable running back. Will this be ok with this large of a motor in a heavy 18' boat? I do read a lot of people saying 2 cables min, but I rarely think I will ever go over 50MPH mostly in the 30s and low 40s is what I am shooting for. We can get in heavy swell and chop fairly often. My helm is a 8 month old Teleflex NFB rotary helm with new cable so I feel good about the condition of both. Any adive here would be great. It is the difference between having to spend $400 or not. Thanks for everyone's time and happy father days!

By the way boat is rated for 160 HP in 1975 when it was built.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Do I Need Dual Steering Cables?

Hey SL, My 21'/150HP Johnny has a single cable. My 16'/135HP V6 Merc also has a single cable. Both are fine. I therefore think a single cable is perfectly fine.

BTW - Good luck with that 50+MPH performance. I do not think you will see it with that combo. You will be in the mid 40s at most.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

I agree... if you're under 50mph that single cable helm should be just fine.

SteuryLover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds good, thanks for the responses guys. I am not worried about top speed at all to be honest. I really want a strong mid 30s power band. I run 70+ miles on any given day fishing out at the islands so I really need reliable power. I get 33 MPH at WOT right now with a full load running my 1993 Johnson 88 SPL turning an alum 15p prop, that is without trim as my Johnson does not have it. The Merc has a 21P Laser II prop and pushed the 19' fish n ski very small V boat it came off of at 62MPH. I understand totally different beast, I would be happy with 45. Thanks again guys.