Boat size on smaller lakes

rb8484

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was wondering if a 24' bow rider is to large of a boat for some smaller lakes. I dont live on the lake, so I dont want to make any of the people on the lake mad. Its not that small of a lake, but non the less, what do you guys think??

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat size on smaller lakes

It helps to know the lake size Silly :p

Acers location ect

rb8484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It helps to know the lake size Silly :p

Acers location ect

LOL.....yeah, it would help.....if I know the size!! Acually, I will go to the DNR's website and see if I can look it up.......

rb8484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Found it!! The lake is 350 acers. One whole side of the lake is state land, so there are no houses on that side of the lake.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Found it!! The lake is 350 acers. One whole side of the lake is state land, so there are no houses on that side of the lake.

Thats a lotta boat for that lake IMHO :rolleyes:

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess it would matter on what the other people on the lake have. If your only slighty larger then go for it. But if there all tiny runabouts You might ruffel a few feathers.

Later

rb8484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess it would matter on what the other people on the lake have. If your only slighty larger then go for it. But if there all tiny runabouts You might ruffel a few feathers.

Later

Most people are running 18'-20'ers. I am looking at this 24'er, but dont want to buy it if I am going to "ruffel a few feathers". My parents have property on this lake, and would like to hang out on that lake. The rest of the time I would like to head out to lake michigan for day trips as I am only 50 minutes from lake michigan. Kind of a toss I guess!

Bifflefan

Commander

get the 24. if you dont then the big lake might be a problem if it gets rough.
you can always slow down on the little lakes.
Or i might even trade weekends with ya for my 16'. LOL
i have been to hardy and the big boats kick the crap out me, but o well. one day my big one will be done.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Last Saturday afternoon we were returning from my wife's "Geritol Cruise" and saw a 30' cigarette boat launching.Someone might say"So What???"
Well this lake has 3 bays--The large one 1/2 mile long and 1/4 mile wide with the middle one 1/2 of that and the third one at 1/2 the middle one and connected by a 100 yard no wake zone that is about 50 feet wide.The channel connecting bays 1 and 2 MIGHT be 100 yards wide and offset.

WAY WAY too much boat for that lake!!!!

Add in the 150 foot no wake zone from shore and the lake gets even smaller.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Last Saturday afternoon we were returning from my wife's "Geritol Cruise" and saw a 30' cigarette boat launching.Someone might say"So What???"
Well this lake has 3 bays--The large one 1/2 mile long and 1/4 mile wide with the middle one 1/2 of that and the third one at 1/2 the middle one and connected by a 100 yard no wake zone that is about 50 feet wide.The channel connecting bays 1 and 2 MIGHT be 100 yards wide and offset.

WAY WAY too much boat for that lake!!!!

Add in the 150 foot no wake zone from shore and the lake gets even smaller.

Did you see it in action on the lake as well ??
Not only too much boat for the size of lake but an accident waiting to happen with one of the other boaters. There's just nowhere to keep out of it's way on a lake like that.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

That is a small lake.

I have found that on the days that going out on Lake Michigan is safe and smart in any open bow boat it doesn't make much difference if you have an 18' or a 24'. That Arriva you are looking at is pretty low slung. The bow is pretty low to the water. Having length is good. However that boat isn't designed for big water any more than a typical 18' bowrider is.

I would look for a boat in the less than 20' range for your use.

rb8484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont know what the heck to do. LOL what a decition! The ebbtide boat im looking at is a 19'er. Its a 1996, with no major work being done on it in that last 4 years that the guy has had it. I would be trading my travel trailer for it.

The arriva has had a good amount of work done and the outdrive gone through last fall. I would be trading my travel trailer for it and he would also give me $1000.

What a delema!

What should I do???

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Did you see it in action on the lake as well ??
Not only too much boat for the size of lake but an accident waiting to happen with one of the other boaters. There's just nowhere to keep out of it's way on a lake like that.

No we didn't see it take off. I retrieved slowly and he idled over to the picnic area and beached to eat before heading out.

Sikiguya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For size, I'd say get the 24'...I have a 21 and it is just fine on my lake. It is about 450 acres. There are plenty of bigger boat/pontoons and such. As long as you are not being a jerk on water, there should be no reason not to put it in the 350 acre lake.