Volvo 4.3GS won't start No fuel to carb?

Dynomite59

Recruit
I have a 1995 4.3GS Volvo Penta drive. It will not start. When I fired it up this spring it was hard starting but would start and run great. It looks like I am getting no fuel into the throat of the carb. A couple questions: Should I hear the fuel pump (it is electric) click or run when I turn the key on? It does nothing right now. I did remove the fuel line and tried cranking motor over and did get some fuel out of line. I also changed the fuel filter and cranked motor over for about 30 sec. and removed fuel filter and it had just a small amount of fuel in it. Could the float in the carb be stuck and not allowing fuel into carb? Looking for some place to start.

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Volvo 4.3GS won't start No fuel to carb?

The fuel pump will not run with just the key on. It will only run during cranking or once the engine is started, this is a safety feature. There is a bypass circuit that gives the pump power while cranking the engine. Then, once the engine is running the alternator gets up to speed and there is a circuit that gets power from there to the fuel pump. This way if the engine dies the fuel pump will not run on.

Dynomite59

Recruit

Thanks for the info. It must be in my carb. Thanks again

JJJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It could be the carb, though the fuel pumps aren't the greatest. Have you checked to see if you have 12 volts and ground at the pump while cranking?

Dynomite59

Recruit

No not yet. But when I had the fuel line off and cranked the motor fuel came out of the fuel line. I need to take my meter to the marina and check it out. thanks for the tip.