Gas coming out the front of carbs, reed valves???

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Working on a freinds motor, '76 50 and it will only run on one cylinder, has spark, compression okay.

When you try to start it gas comes out the front of the carbs and when it finally does run there is a fine mist of gas coming out of them and you can feel engine pulses, this is bad reeds yes.

History, last year he calls me and said the air cleaner thing "fell off" the front of the engine, I found 2 bolts in the air box and the other 4 were stuck in the reeds, the engine ran okay for the last year, now not so much.

I haven't actually torn the carbs off yet to look at the reed cage, should I just tell him to get new ones?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Gas coming out the front carbs, reed valves???

"the other 4 were stuck in the reeds, "

That is priceless!

Hopefully, none of the reeds has broken off. If there are any missing pieces, you've got to find 'em before the engine can be run again, even if it means completely tearing the engine down, or else risk being stranded. Sucking a reed into a cylinder can really ruin a fishing trip.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

On that engine, a compression test before you spend a dime.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Compression is 140 cold and no it didn't break any of the reeds off, the bolts were just laying against them and that was last year and he has run the boat alot since then, this is a new problem.

He wants to take his dad out fishing Sunday so I am trying to get it going for him.

I will be pulling the carbs and reeds tommoro to see what they look like, maybe run through the carbs and make sure all is right there.

My question is if they are blowing gas out the front it has to be the reeds right?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Gas coming out the front of carbs, reed valves???

You will get some misting out the carb's on most any of these engines.

SS140

Banned

Compression is 140 cold and no it didn't break any of the reeds off, the bolts were just laying against them and that was last year and he has run the boat alot since then, this is a new problem.

He wants to take his dad out fishing Sunday so I am trying to get it going for him.

I will be pulling the carbs and reeds tommoro to see what they look like, maybe run through the carbs and make sure all is right there.

My question is if they are blowing gas out the front it has to be the reeds right?

You're suppose to check compression with engine at operating tempature.

I would give visual inspection before spending someone elses money. IMO