Evinrude couter rotating lower unit.

Timbo#1

Recruit
I have a 1990 Evinrude 150 90 degree that has a cylinder down that I bought to rebuild. The question is I think that the lower unit is counter rotating. How do I know for sure. When I push the shift rod down and rotate the shaft clockwise the prop shaft rotates counter clockwise. Is that a counter rotater?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Evinrude couter rotating lower unit.

the model number will tell you.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The propshaft will rotate clockwise when the driveshaft is turned clockwise IF the standard gearcase is in forward gear. Pull the shift rod up for forward gear on either gearcase.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

probably the easiest way to check is compare the prop to another boat, if they are both the same shape, then you will know, pretty easy to tell even for the layman if you have a "lefty", to rebuild the power head does not matter what rotation you have by the way! the only difference is in the gearbox, everything else is the same.

Timbo#1

Recruit

It does not have the prop on it....or yes that would have been a dead giveaway kinda like a reverse thread bolt. Thanks for the help guys

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1990 Evinrude 150 90 degree that has a cylinder down that I bought to rebuild. The question is I think that the lower unit is counter rotating. How do I know for sure. When I push the shift rod down and rotate the shaft clockwise the prop shaft rotates counter clockwise. Is that a counter rotater?

Nope. See what ezeke wrote

The propshaft will rotate clockwise when the driveshaft is turned clockwise IF the standard gearcase is in forward gear. Pull the shift rod up for forward gear on either gearcase.