1958 Texas Maid 15ft Boat Value???

Status
Not open for further replies.

caravelle1750

Recruit
Looking for value of 1958 15ft Texas Maid Boat> My girl friend's dad bought it new in 1958. Has 1965 50hp mercury motor. He painted it years ago to match his 1959 Ford Galaxie 500. Alway's garaged, has not been started in a few years. We plan on installing a new battery and tune up this week end and sell it soon. Any help with info, history and value is appreciated. See attached pics. Located in Lafayette, GA. Thanks

Attachments

• texmaid1.JPG
    texmaid1.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 4
  • texmaid2.JPG
    texmaid2.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 3
  • texmaid3.JPG
    texmaid3.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 3
  • texmaid4.JPG
    texmaid4.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 3
  • texmaid5.JPG
    texmaid5.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 3

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1958 Texas Maid 15ft Boat Value???

It is a neat old boat but it looks to be a good bit short of mint condition. Plus those older Mercurys are tough to find parts for. You might be able to get a grand for it if it's in running condition.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I concur - not really a true collector's item - yet. Aside from the truly mint condition boats, or ones with a pedigree (owned by famous folk, etc.), most of the old Glassics really aren't "valuable" in the monetary sense. For every $5000 package deal, there are fifty $200 back yard specials. Yours will fall somewhere in between - EZ's estimate is probably in the ballpark. What it comes down to is finding someone who had "that exact boat" as a kid and wants to revisit their youth... Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

eball429

Cadet

WOW! It's crazy what you can find on the internet. I bought that boat last fall. Very nice, clean, original boat. Caravelle1750 must have sold it on ebay, the buyer moved from Georgia to Wichita and I found it on CL for sale. The merc ran okay, but had a knocking sound that I found to be a wrist pin wearing badly on the top cylinder. I ran a couple of tanks of fuel through it, oblivious to the problem and I'm lucky the motor didn't come apart and destroy the block. I'm just finishing up rebuilding the powerhead and plan to have her back on the water catching catfish this spring. I'm VERY happy with the boat and glad to be a Texas Maid owner! I also really like the old merc. It was neat to read about the boat being painted to match the Ford Galaxy. I'll try to post some pictures and maybe even a video this spring if anyone is interested in seeing it in action.

eball429

Cadet

I gave $1500 for the boat and it came with a 1972 mercury 50hp parts motor. I searched CL in a 200 mile radius for a month and spent hours and hours researching what I wanted. I had just sold a 1971 Chris Craft XK22 and I wanted something cheap, simple and old that would work well for catfishing. I decided on aluminum, pre 1970, outboard and this boat fit the bill.

This boat is unique because it has lived a very sheltered life and obviously been stored inside most of it's life. The trailer is an old tilt style that is in very, very good condition. The motor looks excellent and ran out really well despite the fact the top cylinder was coming apart (there was almost a 1/4" play in the wrist pin). The boat is very original looking and the paint has a nice patina to it. The seats are back to back fiberglass with nice gel coat. I'm not sure if the seats are original, but they look the part. The steering wheel is nice and still has a texas maid emblem in the center. The boat is original cable steer and I know a lot of people upgrade this, but I think it's pretty cool and plan to keep it that way.

I plan to spend this year proving out the motor and fishing and playing with it as much as I can. I'm very happy with the purchase even though I had to tear into the motor. For me it was all of the small details and condition for it's age that sold me for this boat. There are a lot of $500 to $800 boats out there, but I really think this boat was worth the extra money. My second time out with the boat a guy at the ramp said "that's the kind of boat everybody needs". I think he appreciated the boats simplicity and basic approach to fishing / boating. That's exactly what I wanted and I'm glad someone else could appreciate it. I love the old aluminum boats and really love the old outboards. I would love to have an old 35hp Johnson as a backup motor...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Thought I would throw a couple pics of the one owner I just bought. Guy bought it brand new when he was 16 years old. Had a good story and my wife and I just had to have it. 🙂 All original and I am excited to get it running again soon. It has been a few years as well.

Need to start your own thread, this is a really old one, but don't worry someone will be along to close it, then you can start a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.