66 Starflite 100-s sprays water,but head is hot.

C_hab420

Cadet
Hi,This is my first post here and have gotten so much help here previously I figured I'd join in the fun.I just purchased a 1966 Mfg and the motor is a 1966 Evinrude starflite 100-s.It started right up.After a tune up and good cleaning it runs great.Over 105 psi on all cylinders,impeller is in good shape,stat was removed and tested,I'm getting spray out of the exhaust but it seems to me that it is still getting way too hot.I can't touch the block or the head for more then a second.Internal combustion means heat,I know this, but how hot should it get?Am I just being overcautious?What temperature should it be?I'm also concerned that the overheat alarm isn't functioning or is it just the dash light,can I test it.Thank you for any help or advice.
Btw I'm running it in a bucket with fresh water running into the bucket and the pump inspection plate removed if that helps.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 66 Starflite 100-s sprays water,but head is hot.

head temp should be 140-160, just because you have spray, does not mean the thermostats are opening and cooling the block.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

head temp should be 140-160, just because you have spray, does not mean the thermostats are opening and cooling the block.

I suggest you get it out of that bucket and on a boat on the lake. That is where it was designed to operate, not in a bucket full of air bubbles.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Water should shoot out of that rear exhaust/water outlet, not spray. Install a new water pump assembly.

a70eliminator

Captain

Both my evinrudes one 60hp and 80hp have never had more than a dribbling spray, could you elaborate on "shoot out the hole".

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You don't say what year your 60hp and 80hp were. If they were the later models (thru hub exhaust) that had the two exhaust relief holes to the rear and just below the powerhead, I could understand that spray or dribbling statement.

But...... if memory serves me correctly, the 1966 100hp model (NO thru hub exhaust) has one large water/exhaust relief hole a short distance down the back of the long exhaust housing, and if so, water should shoot out that hole like it was coming out of a fire department hose.

C_hab420

Cadet

Ok,When I start the motor it sprays a mist out of the exhaust relief that will soak your hand fairly quick,then you can see alot more water coming out when the stat opens,It's more like a hose spraying,but it still feels hot.It is cooling because it would be way hotter for the length I ran it,about ten minutes.I'm going to get a temp gauge and was thinking if the water tubes are restricted internally somehow,would putting a less heat rated stat in keep it cooler?The one it has is for 150.Or is there any good products to flush the motor.I blew compressed air through all hose and openings and it flows through.Is vapor lock an issue?Air stuck in the lines?.I inspected the pump housing and there is no scratches or gouges on the plate or the housing and the impeller looked newer.The guy said he just changed it but i just checked to make sure.It pumps!.I guess the next step is to pour in this Nida-core transom material so I have a boat to mount it on.correct on the no through hub exhaust.I'm sure the relation of the exhaust port to the water intake(directly behind the intake)would cause alot of bubbles to get sucked up the intake in a bucket,but I held a hose to the opened pump inspection plate because I had thought of that previously.I just want to make sure it's not going to overheat.It really runs good on the other hand.Also,there is a small aluminum pipe that runs from the back of the block to the auto choke and it burned the hell out of my hand.I figure its to control the auto choke through block temp,but again is it supposed to be that hot?Thank you again for the help.

C_hab420

Cadet

I just now noticed that water is coming out both sides of the lower cover.its the cover that has the exhaust relief in it,but its the front side of that cover.The two covers bolt together and to the powerhead pan.Is this normal?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I just now noticed that water is coming out both sides of the lower cover.its the cover that has the exhaust relief in it,but its the front side of that cover.The two covers bolt together and to the powerhead pan.Is this normal?

It is normal for water to come out there, but the question is how much? It is water that has escaped from the drive shaft hole in the water pump housing. Since there is a seal in the pump housing cover, it should be a minimum of escape. There is also a foam seal around the outside of the hole in that pump housing cover. If that is missing or shot, it will cause strange problems, not the least of which is it won't run with the hood on.

The tube going to the automatic choke is supposed to get very hot. Hands off!!

C_hab420

Cadet

I appreciate the advice very much.The water that comes out the two covers a good flow.Like a water faucet turned on a quarter turn.Not spraying,just flowing out both sides.Would that affect cooling?Any thoughts on using a cooler thermostat to make it open sooner or would it not matter due to the fact that the one it has opens but still isnt cooling enough.Looks like Im getting new seals.