what wax to use

tunerauto

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: what wax to use

I will post my results with before and after pics.

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer

Definately post pics.. I'm real interested in seeing if this works.

FBPirate95

Well I'm a believer. I tried a spot on my oxidized and dull burgandy hull and WOW. I can't wait to get the time to do the whole boat.

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I'm a believer. I tried a spot on my oxidized and dull burgandy hull and WOW. I can't wait to get the time to do the whole boat.

Are you serious? What technique did you use to apply and remove it?

I would love to see pictures of this.

MikDee

Banned

Here, this is my stepsons boat when we got it, I took off the tape with the name "Maddie" then rubbed the vaseline in by hand (with my fingers), took the excess off with paper towels, or rags. See the results for yourself, once it fully soaked in! Then went, & waxed it as usual after this ;)

Attachments

• After 1.jpg
    After 1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 19' Bayliner 002.jpg
    19' Bayliner 002.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 0

jnorswor

Cadet

i applied it using a shop towel in about 15 min. that was three days ago and I am still impressed with the way it shines. I did "dry" after the first day, but I am still worried about it collecting dust on the next breezy day. (oily dust would be a ..... to get off!!!)

MikDee

Banned

i applied it using a shop towel in about 15 min. that was three days ago and I am still impressed with the way it shines. I did "dry" after the first day, but I am still worried about it collecting dust on the next breezy day. (oily dust would be a ..... to get off!!!)

Eventually, it will dry completely,,, putting the boat in the hot sun will help quite a bit. Then you can just leave it the way it is, or wax, or polish over it.

FBPirate95

Are you serious? What technique did you use to apply and remove it?

I would love to see pictures of this.

I've only done it in test spots so far. The first spot was a heavily oxidized area on the stern. I rubbed it on, then used another cloth to rub it until the excess was gone.

The second spot is an area I already used a "cleaner" polish on. The polish did improve the color from the heavily oxidized sections, but still wasn't great. So I did the same thing, I rubbed some in an area I already polished and it made it so much better.

I plan to finish the rest of it this weekend.

t_brown1986

Seaman

Dont mean to be a thread thief. but i did a post where i wet sanded my whole upper part with 1200 grit.. and was told to use compound now then wax.. should i still do this or can i vasolen and let it back for a few days then wax????

FBPirate95

Ok here's today's results. I did it relatively fast. I will need to go back tomorrow to wipe all the excess. My plan is once its good and soaked in, and all the excess is gone, I'll go over it with a polish and wax.

Before, During, & After.....

Attachments

• Vaseline 1.jpg
    Vaseline 1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Vaseline 2.jpg
    Vaseline 2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Vaseline 3.jpg
    Vaseline 3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 0

MikDee

Banned

Looks great! Make sure to leave it long enough for it to totally soak in, it does take time,,, and will get dry on it's own.

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks great! Make sure to leave it long enough for it to totally soak in, it does take time,,, and will get dry on it's own.

I did my SideWinder and all I can say is WOW!!!
The last a couple of days have been warm here, so I gave it a try. OMG what a difference. I did mine in the direct sun light and let it bake in for a day, then wiped the excess off this evening. It did dull some what after I wiped the excess off, but it is not greasy to the touch now. Think I will wax tomorrow.

Thanx MikDee for this awesome tip.

Attachments

• DSCF1671-640X48074.92k.jpg
    DSCF1671-640X48074.92k.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1672-640X480-73.88k.jpg
    DSCF1672-640X480-73.88k.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1673-640X480-90.91k.jpg
    DSCF1673-640X480-90.91k.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1674-640X480-80.48k.jpg
    DSCF1674-640X480-80.48k.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

MikDee

Banned

Glad to see you guys get your old faded boats almost back to their original color ;) It works good on those deck fittings, aluminum windshield frames, and vinyl too, my old jet ski, & it's seat looks great!

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

im convinced, but its really dusty where i work on my boat at. im also concerned about dirt sticking to it...i gues it would wipe off with the excess? ill figure it out, im gonna give it a shot as soon as i have a few hours dedicated to it.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

im convinced, but its really dusty where i work on my boat at. im also concerned about dirt sticking to it...i gues it would wipe off with the excess? ill figure it out, im gonna give it a shot as soon as i have a few hours dedicated to it.

dont worry about it. I thought it would do that to but no sticking at all.

skargo

Banned

I hope I don't get spoken to on this thread, like I have gotten in the past, but I will try anyway. I used that McGuire crap, and that is saying it nicely...so I don't get the GODS on here mad. My very strong suggestion is to search a product called vertglas. My boat had a decent amount of oxidation on it I used this three step the way they suggest and boy I am stocked oh better make sure to clarify stocked is happy, excited and so on. Vertglass tells you to do 6-8 layers dont worry not that hard of a job. I used other stuff in the past and if it lasted 3 weeks that was a long time. This stuff works the BOMB now let me clarify BOMB like stocked , happy, excited and so on I hope this thread does not get me on any more thin ice around here good luck.

Ummm genius, I think you mean STOKED. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Someone give him some powder for his hurt butt please.

t_brown1986

Seaman

So went with the wife to wally world today for groceries and i thought about the post so i picked up the SMALL thing of vasilen. I was waiting on ac guy to come cause the air in my house is TOAST!!!! So I took a rag and done a spot about a foot long. AND WAS LIKE WOW.. but i figured as sun backed it it would dull.. well i went and started a tile job tonight and came home late.. so shined my lights on her and WOW!!!!. so imma do WHOLE boat and let it bake for a few days then wax it and here I come lake Eufala for 4th of July! Thanks alot guys!!!

MikDee

Banned

I find if I apply it with my fingers, instead of a rag, I can actually feel how much it needs to be rubbed in initially, then let it absorb in, and wipe the excess off with a paper towel or rag.