What tools/spares do you carry on board?

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer
Trying to get my tool box and on board spares together for my boat. Just curious what everyone else takes with them.

aspeck

Staff member
Re: What tools/spares do you carry on board?

Spare tools? Naw, I run a Johnson, not a black anchor! ;):p:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

a strong tow line. one of those $15.00 socket sets, multi tip screwdriver, duct tape, knife, channel locks.

this forum wont let me

Seaman Apprentice

I agree with the above tools and tape and knife also if you have a 12volt outlet onboard than I suggest one of those cheep 12 volt flashlights you never know.

haulnazz15

Captain

2 different sizes of flat/phillips screwdrivers, crescent wrench, cheap socket set, WD-40, needle/standard pliers, extra set of points/condenser/spark plugs, duct tape. Also a mutli-tool with a knife come in handy many times.

Aside from that, we carry an airhorn, whistle, and flares for safety all in the first aid kit. We always have dock line and anchor with us for towing or staying put when needed.

We have a 12V spotlight if I need to see something at night :D

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class

What about a cell phone, VHF and one of those towing policies?

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

I always carry my toolbox, my trusty swiss army knife, spare garboard plug, emergency starter battery, outboard emergency starter pull rope, spare spark plugs, cell phone, first aid kit, sunscreen lotion and lots of snacks:D

PAK

Cadet

I tend to go overboard (no pun intended) when I stock my tool box. The reason is simple. I am on my twenty-ninth boat now. If something can go wrong, it usually will. Fortunately there is not much to fix on a boat of this size, thus your tool box will be smaller that one who owns a sport fisher or the like.

Here is my take on what you should carry.

Tools

? 3/8 inch drive socket set with appropriate extensions and knuckles joints for those hard to get places. Do an inventory of bolts on your boat and your engine to see what you need. Get the new style ratchet drive - one that has the old style ratchet where you can swing the handle, but also can be used by turning the handle like a screw driver. This is great for tight places where you can?t swing the handle or you have minimal throw (Home Depot).

? Spark plug wrench
? Spark plug gauge
? Prop wrench
? Regular pliers
? Needle nose pliers
? Small vise grips
? Channel lock pliers (slip joint)
? Diagonal cutters (wire cutters)
? Phillips screw driver
? Regular screw driver
? 12 Volt tester (multi-meter if you are so inclined)

Spare Parts/equipment

? Propeller (if you spin a hub or take a blade off, you are out of business)
? Spark plugs
? Tie wraps with the stainless steel catch. You can?t break them, even if you use a pair of pliers to tighten them. My Yamaha throttle linkage broke while on a trip to Flamingo Florida. I used two tie wraps to clamp the linkage connector to the throttle arm. It would have been good for years, but I replaced it when I go home.
? 3M electrical tape. I have used this one item more than any other item over the coarse of my fifty some years as a boater. It is way better than duct tape because it stretches, thus allowing extreme pressure to be put on whatever you need to support or hold. Plus, it?s water proof. It?s also better than putting on a band aid for a cut. It will stay on for days or weeks for that matter. It will keep you wound dry and when you take it off, you will think you had no cut at all. As an aside, I was in Key West on a two week trip off-shore. The wide black rubber band that held my stylus on my depth recorder broke. You know - the ones that marked the heat sensitive paper. I know this dates me, but so what. We were out of business because I had no spare. I used 3M tape to wind around the broken band one time with about a three inch overlap. I sold the boat three years later and it was still holding strong. On another occasion my gaff broke while fighting a fairly large (for me) tuna. I grabbed a shark hook and taped it to one of my short kite rods. The tape held a sixty + pound tuna. Your mind is the limiting factor with 3M tape.
? One spool of 14 AGW wire. If you need thicker wire, just splice it in parallel.
? Assortment of wire connectors
? Razor knife
? SS hose clamps appropriate for your thru hull fittings

As a caveat, if you only go on day trips, you can moderate this somewhat. However, if you take your boat on vacation or to remote locations, get it all. Everything but the prop will fit into a medium sized water proof ammo box, which you can find in any marine store. Size your tools according to your boat. Also, if you are ever out of cell phone or radio phone contact, carry a satellite phone or, at a minimum, an EPIRB. It gets mighty lonely offshore in the middle of the night.

Good luck,

Drew

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

Bunch of tools under the step as you go below.

Once I was boating with the family motoring along in or 26 Trojan. I heard the exhaust suddenly get louder.

The exhaust hose had failed just below the riser and was filling the engine space with fumes and water.

Just my luck, a flat day with plenty of visibility. The exhaust hose is below the water line and water was coming in.

I gave the family the bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken and the cooler of drinks and sent them forward to dine. This shift in weight distribution caused the exhaust to be above the waterline as I performed a temporary repair using hosed clamps a tin can and a floor mat.

we enjoyed the rest of the day on the water putting around with a temporary repair.

The next Day I replaced both mixing elbows and risers of the fresh water cooled crusader small block. The 3/8 Stainless mounting studs are about 2 feet long, 20 years embedded in cast iron. Used a five pound hammer to remove the risers from the freshwater cooled manifolds..Hammer to make a hole to access the studs with a saws-all

That is a story for an other thread.

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

1st thing I get is my jump starter
Cheap socket,screw driver,pliers and adjustable wrench all in a kit
( Extra plugs,extra running light bulbs, drain plugs, fuses, tape, first aid kit that stays in a water proof box on the boat)
Flash Light/Spot Light
rope,rope,rope cant have enough.

cribber

Lieutenant

I'm seriously anal about what I carry in my tool kit... I carry a spare prop, thrust washer, crown nut and cotter pins, 4 plugs.. one for me, two to help out a fella boater, and my backup for the backup. Then I have an assortment of crescent wrenches, a hand full of sockets and ratchets to go with, several types of pliers, diags, needle nose, and slip joints, several screwdrivers, and a replacement serpentine belt for my Volvo 3.0l with a handful of hose clamps. I think it adds up to about twenty pounds of tools and spares minus the prop and store the tools up front and the prop in the engine compartment to balance things out.