65ESL73R Carb adjustment

stacyg

Seaman Apprentice
I have read up about adjusting the carbs and I am confused. There are no jets thus no jets to adjust for these carbs. There is a simple screw where I think the jets should go. And there is a small brass insert in the inside of the hole (very deep) where I think the high speed and low speed jets would be. I think these inserts are the jets, but they are not adjustable. I have a 4hp that has a very similar carb with jets at the top and the bottom for high and low speed adjustment. I guess the carb design is different. Anyone have any thoughts on how to adjust this type carb?

stacyg

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 65ESL73R Carb adjustment

Ok, got some advice from tashasdaddy on this. i understand this now at least to a point.

1: Place motor it in the lake (preferably on the boat) or in a tank. (Engine must be under load meaning in water)
2: Start and warm the engine.
3: Remove the top front screw on the carb and deep inside is the low speed or idle orifice.
Idle adjustment is then made as I understand it by following these steps:
a: Use a special tool or a modified screw driver to prevent burring the edges of the orifice.
b: Using the tool or screwdriver, turn clockwise until the engine begins to misfire or loses RPM.
c: Turn back counter clockwise just till you hit highest RPM.
d: Repeat on the other 2 carbs and you are done.

I can't find anything on adjusting the high speed orifice though. In fact by the detailed carb parts break down on the shop2.Johnson..... website, the high speed orifice is called a plug. This is the orifice on the bottom of the carb deep behind a bolt on the bottom front of the carb.

Sychro: Do I need to worry about this if I did not change the linkage? If so, can someone tell me how to make the tool required to indicate and mark TDC and ATDC? It fits in the #1 spark plug hole and rises as the piston pushes it up from what I can tell. I found something about making a simple version but could not get to the link from a forum post on another site from 2004. I would like to know how to make this tool anyway if someone has info on this.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

don't worry, your carbs have fixed jets, no adjustment necessary.

orfice is another name for jet.
the special tool is used to remove the jet for cleaning, and to put it back in place, screw it in there tightly (using your special tool), then replace the screw plug.

you won't have to do anything with the timing, just make sure the throttles are parallel, closed at idle and horizontal (not beyond) at WOT, and the roller hits the throttle cam right on the mark.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that motor does not have the adjustments, fixed jets.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The orifice plugs are all to be screwed in all the way with the special screwdriver and the plugs tight also. When they used to have adjustable needles, they were very difficult to get right, even for the pros. So they went to fixed jets. End of adjustments, end of problems.

stacyg

Seaman Apprentice

That is freakin awesome. I love this motor more and more the longer I have it. I really appreciate the feedback on this. I understand the carbs so much better now.

I am officially throwing my seloc manual in the trash and burning it. That is the most worthless piece of crap manual I have eer seen. I know they sell them on this site. There are portions where if you read carefully enough you actually become dumber. It is almost like someone got tired part way through writing some of it so they just threw in some crap to take up space. I agree with the experts on here. The key is getting a good service manual and I know that now. I don't have one yet but I will as soo as I can get one.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Before you burn the seloc....it has a good write-up on the starter motor, a couple special tool workarounds, and some general advice that I've found handy every once in awhile.

That is freakin awesome. I love this motor more and more the longer I have it.

Last year in the spring, I was given a boat with the motor and trailer. The motor is the same year and model that you have, and I totally agree, I love the motor!!! The boat sat for 7 years. We oiled up the motor, replaced a solenoid, and the impeller.

The motor started up right away, it seemed as if it was already tuned, and we ran it all last summer. It never missed a beat. Running great so far this year too.

I really love the motor. In fact, it got me so hooked on outboards, that I am working on several other motors now, including Johnsons and Mercs.

But that 65 HP, that will always be the motor that started it all. It just goes and goes. Very smooth too.

stacyg

Seaman Apprentice

Oh, I won't really burn it. I know there are some things that are useful. It is just so irritating the way they leave things out and throw other things in that are not referenced anywhere else. Or they are improperly referenced which leads you down some confusing paths. The good thing is that you guys on here always get me straight. Thanks!

Aussie Rob

Cadet

I have this same motor on a half cab I bought last may.. I have a manual if your interested.

I'm about to do carby clean and re-kit on mine because when i had it on the water.. it would start but the moment I put it into gear it would stall. also it doesnt idle well, and has a tendancy to rev really high when i start it to the point I have to manualy play with the throttle and choke for a bit. So once the new floats arrive im gonna rip one of the carbs off and have a go..

Can I please ask - what advise would you make in what to do after cleaning the carbs and re-kitting.

Regards

Rob
Bayswater North, Victoria, Australia.

That is freakin awesome. I love this motor more and more the longer I have it. I really appreciate the feedback on this. I understand the carbs so much better now.

I am officially throwing my seloc manual in the trash and burning it. That is the most worthless piece of crap manual I have eer seen. I know they sell them on this site. There are portions where if you read carefully enough you actually become dumber. It is almost like someone got tired part way through writing some of it so they just threw in some crap to take up space. I agree with the experts on here. The key is getting a good service manual and I know that now. I don't have one yet but I will as soo as I can get one.

lindy46

Captain

3 year old thread - best to start your own new thread.