Entry level boat

titanfan

Recruit
This may be an old question, and if it has been answered, please link me to the thread. I have been looking at the Glastron as an entry level boat, the 205 to be exact. I have an uncle that bought a Rinker as an entry level nearly 13 years ago and it looks and runs great. I bring that up because I am thinking that most any boat when properly maintained and treated with respect (not abused on the water), as well as stored indoors, shold last a long time. I am considering the Glatron 205 because of the weight and price for a 20' boat.

What are the opinions and thoughts on this boat as an entry level? Is there something else out there that is better? I had great feedback in the "towing" section and look forward to the opinions on this. Thanks in advance.

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Entry level boat

As you said yourself, proper care is the key. I would not consider them a Cobalt but to me it looks like a nice boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

assume new, hope minimum power is 4.3 EFI any boat is a good boat today, it is the owner that makes them last.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

are you buying new or used? makes a big difference in my opinion. i wouldnt want a brand new boat for a first boat, but thats me. My dad bought a brand new one for our first boat, and it was okay. just stressful over the slightest scratch, vinyl tear, dock rash, etc. We were always worried about damaging something lol.

One important unknown in this thread is the experience level of the owner. The Glastron may be a good entry-level boat if you've got boating experience. If not, then I would strongly recommend getting a small, used boat and working your way up. It's much smarter to crash an inexpensive boat into the dock/other boats/your trailer than a newer or more expensive boat.