Back from the bahamas

erikgreen

Captain
So, here's what I've been doing instead of working on my boats... I'm really feeling behind at this point. Also due to a crazy new boss, my work re-stressed me about 2 days after I got back from a week on this trip. Oh, well, I'll just have to go again.

So, here's some pics. I was on a 65 foot steel sailboat with 19 other passengers and 6 crew, all scuba divers, for a week in the Exumas Cays. Really nice untouched tropical area. We had really good weather for three days, then mostly clouds and rain, but the diving was good.

We stopped one night at a marina on Eleuthera:
eleuthera.jpg

Nice place. Brand new, $2M US marina. Those people are walking to the bar.

We did a few dives with these guys, my favorite fish:
shark.jpg

Also saw a few of these, the most smart and curious fish I know.. this one was bigger than some of the sharks:

cuda.jpg

Funny thing, each time we came back to the boat there were a ton of fish there. On this one dive it was a school of big permit... these guys were a good two feet long each:

keel-permit.jpg

But I'm sure you all want to know about the boats. I saw this one at the bahamas land and sea park. There was a for sale ad for it that said "always stored dry, good stringers and transom, $5000 firm":

refboat.jpg

More in my next post....

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Back from the bahamas

...continued.

I liked this boat the best of the ones I saw at that park... I'd like to own a 50-70 foot liveaboard at some point relatively soon, although I'm sure it won't be this nice:

nice.jpg

That's all the pics I'll share for now.

I'm planning on going back when I get time (after summer dive season) and probably again after that... I only had to pay about $1000 for the week's trip plus airfare, so it's a great deal. I got 18 dives in tropical waters in that time.

So now that I'm back, I've got a list of things to work on:

* Finish my engine hoist - I'm building one with a 4 ton lift capability over a short reach plus up to 1000 pounds 6 feet horizontally from the base, it'll be towable.

* Hack together a skeg for my pre-alpha - I tried welding on a skeg last year, it came off the first time I bounced it off the ramp. This time I'll make one out of sheet metal and bolt it on carefully... won't look great and will cut my top speed, but I'll be able to steer at idle, which is what I really need.

* Rebuild my 21 footer's Q-jet carb and replace the intake with something not rusty. Also the flame arrestor and a couple hoses

* Re-work interior of the 21 footer so it drains better and looks better, including new flooring, side panels, and some fiberglass repair (and maybe a partial paint job)

* Start restore and fix work on my Turbocraft

.... too much to do, not enough time :)

Erik

erikgreen

Captain

One other tidbit... supposedly that wooden boat that looks like a sieve held 19 haitian refugees long enough to get them ashore...

Erik

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Nice pics, glad you had a good time.
Sounds like your gonna need about four of you this summer!

Fly Rod

Commander

It is always good to get away, happy to see that you had a great time.

I always believe, work between vacations, life is too short and precious not to.