94 Force 120 HP, Tilt/Trim, Won't Go Down

egkpop

Recruit
I bought this 94 Bayliner w/Force in May 2007. No problems with trim in 2007 & 2008 seasons. Kids were in boat during winter and left key on, which caused the battery to die. I recharged battery and engine starts fine. But I didn't realize until last week that the motor is stuck in the up position. When I press the tilt/trim button, I hear only a click. Does this have anything to do with the previous charge problem? Assuming it doesn't, and after reading some message posted on this forum, I ordered a two new relays (only the half with the teeth) thinking this might do the trick. It did not. Could it be a lack of oil in tilt/trim reservoir? Would lack of oil cause the tilt/trim to "click" only? I'm not sure how to check the level, or even if this is the problem. I'm not terribly mechanical, but I have a pretty decent level of common sense to figure things out. I'm trying to avoid dropping hundreds into resolving this problem if at all possible. Thanks!

John

RRitt

Captain
Re: 94 Force 120 HP, Tilt/Trim, Won't Go Down

Sounds like water in motor that rusted up over winter. wire trim motor directly to a battery and see if it goes. If not then motor needs replacing or rebuilding. If so then wiring/relay issue.

egkpop

Recruit

How do you hook up tilt/trim motor directly to battery? Do you use the wires located near the relays? Or do I have this completely wrong? Thanks for your reply.

John

nassaupete

Recruit

I have a 94 force 120 HP that i've had for 16 years now. We put the boat in the water today for the first time this year. At the launch site I was able to trim the motor in the water just so the prop was submerged, started engine, let it warm up. When I detatched boat from trailer, back out, and wanted to trim motor, it went down, but not all the way. Then to make matters worse it would not go back up, or down. It made the humming sound as if it wanted to go up or down. Doe's it sound like I need to install a new motor, and if so where is the best place to order one, at the best price. I'm new here at iboats.

RRitt

Captain

'94 should be able to use current square body trim motor that fits most mercury mariner force 125Hp and smaller. You should be able to find them anywhere including here on Iboats in the $150-$170 range. It would be worth double checking before buying a new motor. At 15years it would not be surprising for a mercury trim system to start having hydraulic problems.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

How do you hook up tilt/trim motor directly to battery? Do you use the wires located near the relays? Or do I have this completely wrong? Thanks for your reply.

John

You should have a couple of wires coming right off of the pump motor, mine are blue and green. When tilting up the blue is positive and green is negative and tilting down the green is positive and the blue is negative. Yours may be different.

If the motor is UP then use a pair of jumper cables, put the red to the pos batt term and connect this to the green wire. Connect the black to the blue wire and then touch the black to an engine ground, this will lower it.

If the motor is DOWN connect the positive to the blue and neg to the green. Now tough the negative jumper to an engine ground, try not to use the neg post because of sparks.

Your wire colors and polarities may be different then mine so you will have to play around with this a bit. If it works then you will need to work backwards from the pump to find the problem.

Last edited:

Try switching the relays to see if motor will go down not up. Both relays are the same one for up one for down.

RRitt

Captain

he hears a click so relay is probably working. Just hot wire the motor and see if it runs. It's not complicated. Touch the motor wires directly to a car battery.

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine did the same thing after RRitt rebuilt my whole system, it turned out the circuit breaker had tripped do to the motor be rusted together. Its right by the starter solenoid(well at least mine was) Follow the red wires from the relay they should lead you to the breaker.