Clicks once then nothing. BUT then starts

beauski83

Cadet
Hello,

I have a 2002 Wellcraft Excalibur.

5.7 Gi Volvo Engine with aprox 110 hours.

Boat is new to me as of 106 hours.

New Battery.

Turn the key, clicks once....and that's it.
Turn it again, same deal. Let it sit for a minute...talked to the battery and engine. Turn key, click, then turn again and starts right up....runs beautifully.
Anchor off for a bit. Turn key, click. Turn again, starts up.
Little while later...back to the first scenario. Few tries, but it eventuall starts up no prob. As soon as it gets to the point where it tries to start, she fires right up.

I'm new to this and don't know much, so I'm hoping what I'm saying makes sense and is a fairy simple problem.

Any help is appreciated!

Adam

bustermin

Banned
Re: Clicks once then nothing. BUT then starts

i would check to see how much voltage you are getting @ the starter during cranking when it clicks, it sounds to me like a bad solenoid or starter, or a bad connection either at the ground or hot cable, also veify you are using marine grade battery cables as they will be tinned to prevent corrosion, which can cause you to lose valuble cranking amps.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Has your starter ever been submerged in water. Once is all it takes to damage it.

beauski83

Cadet

i don't know if the starter has ever been sumberged. not in the 3 weeks i've had it!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

i don't know if the starter has ever been sumberged. not in the 3 weeks i've had it!
OK...didn't catch that in your original post. Need to check your connections at the battery, starter and ground at the block but it may be neccasary to pull the starter to see what's up with it. Could have been submerged before you owned it and that is why you are having a problem.

willieboy

Seaman

Mine was the starter. Exact symptoms as you have. However, one day it would only click. Thank god we were not in the middle of the lake. Replaced the starter Saturday, took maybe an hour. The hardest part was removing and re-installing a hose that was in the way. Got the replacement right here at Iboats. I did keep the old starter. I plan to rebuild it and put on a shelf so I have one for next time.

beauski83

Cadet

I replaced the battery and the guy at the store gave me a deep cycle marine battery. Now, looking at the manual, I see that you are not supposed to use a deep cycle battery w/ a EFI engine. Could that be the problem? Or is their probably something else? thanks!

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

Deep cycles are not very good at putting out enough power to make a good solid starting, but I doubt that is your problem. But you should replace it.

I would listen to the other points, focus on the volatage at the battery when it is not working. If voltage drops fast/deep then you likely have a connection problem. If it stays high and does not move much, then it is likely a solenoid or starter problem.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I replaced the battery and the guy at the store gave me a deep cycle marine battery. Now, looking at the manual, I see that you are not supposed to use a deep cycle battery w/ a EFI engine. Could that be the problem? Or is their probably something else? thanks!
EFI needs a certain voltage while cranking. In your case, you aren't even to the point of cranking so not really your problem...yet!

beauski83

Cadet

Thanks everyone for your help. Certainly appreciate it.

haulnazz15

Captain

Keep the deep cycle battery and run a dual battery system. Then you can switch to the deep cycle for running lights/radio when the boat is anchored and engine not running. That way you never run your battery dead. I would just pull off the cables and make sure all corrosion is gone, then make sure that the solenoid "clicks" when you turn the key. If all checks out and the problem is still there, pull the starter off and have it rebuilt for $80 or so. Half the price of a new one and it's just like new.

bustermin

Banned

i agree with bubba, starter or solenoid.