99 Crownline 182 Tone at key on normal operation or problem?

docoakley01

Cadet
I have a 1999 182 BR Crownline with a 4.3 carb Merc. I bought used last fall. The question I have is when I have key on (not start), there is a tone. I know there are three alarms (which sound different) and also a low voltage alarm. My friend has a 95 that does not do this. I have a new battery on the boat. When I first replaced, there was no tone. Then, several hours later the tone came back. So I don't know if this is to let you know to turn the blower on, make you avoid leaving key on, or is a real problem. The owners manual makes no mention, and going through the Merc information (fantastic tool!), no mention at all. Any advice you can give would be appreciated.:confused:

Last edited:

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 99 Crownline 182 Tone at key on normal operation or problem?

I get a two tone sounds when I first turn the key on, but it then goes away. I have a 99 Crownline 225.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The question I have is when I have key on (not start), there is a tone. I know there are three alarms (which sound different) and also a low voltage alarm.

If everything is original, you have 1 alarm that will go off for 3 different reasons. Low oil pressure, low gear lube reservoir oil, and high temp.
When you turn your key on, you have low oil pressure and the alarm will sound.
In the early 90's, the alarm had a timer circuit built in to stop the alarm from going off after a few seconds of operation. Merc gave that up because it would also shut off the alarm if it went off for real.

EFI engines do have different types of alarms, but they have a computer to control the alarms.

docoakley01

Cadet

Thank you very much for you kind help on this one. I was hoping it was the low oil pressure, but I already had this at the lake once and had to get a tow, and am not going through that again. I am replacing everything I need to to avoid it.

45Auto

Commander

Your buzzer should sound for several seconds when you turn the key on to let you know that it's working. Only real reference I know of real quick is Merc Manual 18, page 4d-11 (Gen 2 V6, in the "Adults only" sticky. Download it if you haven't already). I'm pretty sure there's something about it in the operator's manual that came with my Crownline (2003 BR225) but I don't feel like digging it out right now! :)

EDIT - Oops, didn't notice it was carbed. Mine's EFI so the computer shuts the buzzer down after the test beep.

jmark

Cadet

My 1999 Crownline 192 BR was doing the same thing, tone at key turned to on position but engine not started. Turns out I had low gear lube level in the reservoir, i topped that off and the alarm has not returned.

docoakley01

Cadet

Can you tell me if you have a carb or electronic fuel system? Seems to make a difference. I did fill up the drive fluid. If you have a carb and your does not make the sound at key up, I have to go back to the books perhaps.

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It should make a sound at key on until engine gets oil pressure. Fiiling gear lube WILL NOT make that one go away.