Florida Get Together 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Florida Get Together 2010

My friend keeps talking about the spring on the north end of lake george in the ocala forest.

Says there is camping and it's a good spot cause we could shoot over to porkys in georgetown friday and saturday night by boat. They have some great bands there.

KNow what he's talking about ??

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

The hotel was nice, the pool was nice, the A/C, private bath and all the other stuff was nice, just have to pay each day to get in and out of the park if not staying inside and no more than 5 min away, couple good restaurants just down the road past the motel. Golden Corral is the one we went to for the evening meal, just go to the food bar and load up and it won't break the bank either.

I think that the lake would probably be fine for water sports, I was out several times and never saw a gator out there. My wife got nervous when she heard the word gator, we had carried the tube to pull the boys on and never took it out of the truck. She would have probably been ok if others were out in the water.

I was thinking of renting the campsite to leave my boat there and still staying at the hotel..The camp fees were so low that it would still be a bargain to pay them for the convienence..

And Rick..
I ran this by Diane, and she was a happy camper as well!

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

Just a thought if it did not have to be a lake trip...

There are some very pretty nice placees on the Suwannee and Sante Fe Rivers as well.

We go to the Yellow Jacket campground in Old Town. Couple times a Year very pretty River. Pool, hot tubs, some cabins nice showers. A little pricer than a state park but very nice.
http://www.yellowjacketcampground.com/

Also Homasasa and Crystal River are nice. We stayed at the Best Western in Crystal River, there is a boat launch on site with docks. Not sure about camping though.
www.crystalriverresort.com‎

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

My friend keeps talking about the spring on the north end of lake george in the ocala forest.

Says there is camping and it's a good spot cause we could shoot over to porkys in georgetown friday and saturday night by boat. They have some great bands there.

KNow what he's talking about ??

I don't know exactly, but he is probably talking about salt springs, there is a small river run on the NW corner of lake george that runs up into the salt springs state recreation area... There's more camping around here then you can shake a stick at! Ocala has tons of big lakes (and lake george is HUGE)

Salt spring itself isnt really big, but I have to admit it is extremely pretty, crystal clear water, about 10 feet deep... I go like once a week over there to go swimming... (20 mins away)

If you want, i would be happy to snap some photos and post them for you... I live in Hog valley which is the NW corner of the Ocala national Forest, (yes I live IN the national forest! :) )so if there is something you need me to check out let me know, and I would be happy too...

FYI most of the water around here is connected, Lake george to the st johns river, which connects to the Ocklawaha river and so on... I recently moved here, (Wish I had known about the one in may or I would have gone)... but anyway, I am still exploring a lot of the boating around...

With everything connected have you considered a "cruise" of sorts? My parents boating club used to do that all the time, start in one spot, spend a day, cruise to the next place, spend the night and so on... could maybe work up the St. Johns out to the atlantic (I think its only about an 8 hour run)...

Anyway, Too bad my property isnt bigger or I would invite ya'll here hehe

/edit

Here's a link for porky's... it doesnt allow pets though:

http://www.resortsandlodges.com/lodging/usa/florida/northeast/porkys-landing-marina.html

Also checked the map, and its located on the NE corner of lake George... so it is close to the salt springs run... and right at the bottom of the St. Johns river... (which I was on yesterday and is very nice).

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Also Homasasa and Crystal River are nice. We stayed at the Best Western in Crystal River, there is a boat launch on site with docks. Not sure about camping though.
www.crystalriverresort.com‎

Extremely beautiful! We had a cabin on the homossa for over 30 years and I loved every minute of it! You have the springs which are nice (there's a small attraction there too). You can anchor and swim around there. The homassassa flats are home to world class tarpon fishing and great overall flats fishing.

There are quite a few campgrounds and things around homossassa (don't know much about Crystal River sorry). You have McRae's right on the river that rents little cabins out and has a bar on the dock, and can park your boat there, ramp is free.. there's also the turtle creek campground I know of but not sure what the amenities/restrictions there are...

Also, at the mouth of the river there is a lodge you can rent the whole place out to groups... its fairly new (4-5 years??) But I have no idea what the pricing for it would be like...

/edit here is the link for the lodge, but thats waaay out of my price league... I dont know about anyone else, but I couldn't swing it heh... don't know if they would do some sort of group special or not

http://tarponkeylodge.com/

anyway I definitely want to go and bring the family for whatever you guys decide to do!!!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i am very familiar with the Salt Springs Area, use to have a place on Lake Delancy in the Forrest. Salt Springs in beautiful, but getting into Lake George can be trecherous, on a windy day. but fishing the run can be very productive.

some pics and info, would be great. i think the problem with Salt Springs is lodging for the non campers.

tashasdaddy

Crystal River Resort is expensive. compared to what we paid a Lake Griffin.

bbp42d

Recruit

i am very familiar with the Salt Springs Area, use to have a place on Lake Delancy in the Forrest. Salt Springs in beautiful, but getting into Lake George can be trecherous, on a windy day. but fishing the run can be very productive.

some pics and info, would be great. i think the problem with Salt Springs is lodging for the non campers.

yes it can be it was a little rough this past weekend. we launched from astor and went to the glen. just beautiful. and it has calmed down a ton from the 90"s. i just wish andersons lodge had a website.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Hi Everyone,
Jusrt checking in from the cottage. Weather is good, boating is great, fishing is just so so but who cares I'm not at work. The entire family are having a great time.
We have dial up only here and it is really slow !! Hence I have not been out here. I average a beer a page load !!!
Well, where to go ????
Being in Canada and having only been in Florida overnight for a layover on a flight back to Detroit I can be of little help.
Mrs Ken and myself are looking forward to going on this trip and will drive down with our boat in tow. I am going to combine the trip with a visit to our Alabama plant so I am a lot of the way there already.
We hope to be tent camping and the dog will be staying at home as will all or most of the children. They are all adults anyway. You guys and gals that live there will be able to make a much better choice than I ever could !!!
Hotel / Motel will work for us as well but would prefer to tent if possible.
Let me know !!

Ken.

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You may want to consider Sebastian Inlet Park. It has camping, swimming, and all amenities. Camping area is located on Sebastian river and the inlet. Boat ramp at camping area will allow boaters to go on the Sebastian River, or offshore. Fishing is some of the best on the east coast.
I'm not sure about any specific rules and regulations, but I can tell you that it is a beautiful place, clean, and well policed by park rangers. Mike

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Almost rented there once, but the dates did not work out. Seems ot be a busy park. Not a lot of open dates when we were looking in the Fall. The amenities sounded great..and VeroWing was right about the fishing. For the smaller boats, lots of intracoastal stuff if I 'm not mistaken..

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Extremely beautiful! We had a cabin on the homossa for over 30 years and I loved every minute of it! You have the springs which are nice (there's a small attraction there too). You can anchor and swim around there. The homassassa flats are home to world class tarpon fishing and great overall flats fishing.

There are quite a few campgrounds and things around homossassa (don't know much about Crystal River sorry). You have McRae's right on the river that rents little cabins out and has a bar on the dock, and can park your boat there, ramp is free.. there's also the turtle creek campground I know of but not sure what the amenities/restrictions there are...

!

hell I gotta vote for Homosassa River area too, I'm really close, not that it influenced my vote any...lol...but you can look into the Homosassa River Resort for a group rate, they have their own marina-boat launch $ 8 if you don't stay...it's right next to McRae's which is free, but really busy

I would forgo some door prizes if there is a way to get a super duper group rate...hint...hint :D.........wow did I say that, I was the super grand prize winner last time and haven't even used it yet :rolleyes:

lots of on the water restaurants and you could even anchor up and sleep aboard at the springs and have a manatee wake you up by rubbing on the bottom of the boat.

As I stated before: pets are my main concern, if my fury one cant go, I cant stay overnight...if there is a park/pavilion it must allow pets - my golden at 65 lbs is a large dog, but super sweet

I have never been around the Lake George / St Johns area, but hear its super nice........I'll pretty much drag that big azz pontoon anywhere with in 3 hours driving time, but I'm only a day tripper if you guys pick a place with pet restrictions...my .02

P.S. that Yellow Jacket place looks really nice, pets cottages, tent and RV camping, I bet we could take that place over for a weekend

tashasdaddy

Bard1 mentioned Lake Kississme SP. no swimming, less dockage space, long distance from camps to boats.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I doubt we find a better spot that LG..Keep looking guys...
Does Okechobee have any facilities? Thats a monster lake!
(and 45 minutes from me! lol)

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

try: river ranch
great marina, have camping, cabins, motel, pool(s), hot tub, rental boats, bait shop, restaurants, etc
Its actually a small town; they have their own post office and zip code
Not cheap, but they love groups

http://www.wgriverranch.com/

Also great bass fishing on the river.

tashasdaddy

nice place, but looks way out of my $$$ range.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Forgot to mention !!!!
I will be bringing several door prizes to the gathering. My vendor toolshops have all been notified that I will be expecting them to "help out" with this event.
Let me know (within reason) what "goodies" you would like to see there.

Well I have just got back from an all afternoon cruise at the cottage on Georgian Bay and am about to BBQ supper. Final campfire of the vacation tonight with much beer etc and pack it all up in the morning. Our friends are arriving here on friday and Mrs Ken will insist on the place being spotless !!
I will check in again when i get home.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Everyone,
Jusrt checking in from the cottage. Weather is good, boating is great, fishing is just so so but who cares I'm not at work. The entire family are having a great time.
We have dial up only here and it is really slow !! Hence I have not been out here. I average a beer a page load !!!
Well, where to go ????
Being in Canada and having only been in Florida overnight for a layover on a flight back to Detroit I can be of little help.
Mrs Ken and myself are looking forward to going on this trip and will drive down with our boat in tow. I am going to combine the trip with a visit to our Alabama plant so I am a lot of the way there already.
We hope to be tent camping and the dog will be staying at home as will all or most of the children. They are all adults anyway. You guys and gals that live there will be able to make a much better choice than I ever could !!!
Hotel / Motel will work for us as well but would prefer to tent if possible.
Let me know !!

Ken.

Damn...seems like someone is after the longest distance award!! We were going to offer pduquette one last year from Mass, but the car died at the last moment...make sure you grease those bearings!!

Status
Not open for further replies.