86 Mercury 150 Xr2 Loss Of Power

Carburators are clean, all vaccum hoses are hooked up, all cylinders are firing, compression is where there suppose to be. Motor will Idle fine until it gets hot then wont idle, and will not go it bogs down, even at full throttle it wont come out of the water. Sounds like the fuel pump to me, I replaced it yesterday and am going to try it out today, but if this doesnt work i dont know what to do, any idea's anyone? Was the fuel pump the right decision?

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 86 Mercury 150 Xr2 Loss Of Power

Carburators are clean, all vaccum hoses are hooked up, all cylinders are firing, compression is where there suppose to be. Motor will Idle fine until it gets hot then wont idle, and will not go it bogs down, even at full throttle it wont come out of the water. Sounds like the fuel pump to me, I replaced it yesterday and am going to try it out today, but if this doesnt work i dont know what to do, any idea's anyone? Was the fuel pump the right decision?

The best way to chase down fuel supply issues is a pressure gauge. If it's between 2 and 6 lbs under all conditions, yer good.

What about link-n-sync.

One sleeper that can get you is the vacuum pulse hose to the fuel pump. If you put a tygon hose there, it won't work. It has to be stiff to deliver the vacuum pulses.

hope it helps
John

odomke

Recruit
Re: 86 Mercury 150 Xr2 Loss Of Power

Did you resolve your issue. I'm having the same problem,