replace anodes or paint drive first

HJ1

Cadet
I need to save some money this year, so I'm doing some things myself for the first time. I bottom painted the boat myself today, and removed the anodes from the outdrive. The boat is a Cobalt 246 with a Mercruiser engine and Bravo III drive. Simple question I think. Do I replace the anodes first, or paint the outdrive first, or does it not make a difference?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: replace anodes or paint drive first

Paint first then put the anodes on....they are useless when covered in paint..;)

HJ1

Cadet

Thanks Gary

I would have taped them up first before I painted. Makes perfect sense though, no need to tape em up first if I paint first. Much thanks.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

No problem! Have fun painting....:D

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I also like the idea of getting the anodes off for ease of painting...BUT...I believe it's important to preserve a clean contact between the drive and the anode -- probably through the screw mount threads.

If you get paint between the two materials, the electrical conduction required between them is blocked and the anode becomes useless.

Someone check my math as I'm no expert, but I believe the key is clean contact between the two.

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

I don't think the key is that they are contacting the bare metal of the drive. I think the idea is that the anodes are bare and exposed so they corrode first/easiest. If you take the anodes off and they are painted below then you know for sure. I would say, be careful to not paint the screw holes as they may be key somehow, but I think the main premise is, don't paint the anodes; they need to be exposed. Check your manual too, there may be some information about painting the drive in it.

HJ1

Cadet

Thanks to all for the great info. Would it be a good idea to put the old bolts back in the holes, paint, then remove the old bolts and install the anodes? That way the treads will stay clean.

HJ1

Cadet

The shop that serviced my boat in the past painted the outdrive, but not the prop. The paint I bought is for drive and prop. Would there be a reason that they did not paint the prop?

Also, the anode kit that I bought has a prop nut anode. The shop that serviced the boat in the past did not install this anode. Would there be a reason for this? The prop nut appears to be brass, just my observation but I'm not sure it is brass.

Thanks for all the help thus far.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The original prop nut probably is brass...
If you are in fresh water the anodes will be fine.It will not hurt to use the prop nut anode either way...

HJ1

Cadet

I am in salt water. The boat stays in the water from the end of May to the middle of October. Should I install the prop nut anode?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I am in salt water. The boat stays in the water from the end of May to the middle of October. Should I install the prop nut anode?

If in salt...yes use every anode possible..

ken52

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure if this helps but I removed mine then ground off the thin layer of corrosion to reuse anodes. Not sure if that is ok but thought it would buy me some time before replacing!

HJ1

Cadet

Thanks again guys

Ken, my anodes were really shot. They seem to last just one season due to the harsh conditions.