lower unit no shifting

goldsuke25

Cadet
I just bought a lower unit and installed it. it is only going forward weather it is in neutral forward or reverse I have a good felling I gofed up since I am a begginer also there is white smoke comming out of the engine I dont know if it is the mix or what.any help would be appreciated.

p.s I think the guy who sold it to me took it out when it was a differnt gear
does this mater and how do I correct it on the gear shaft in the lower unit

95 bayliner 120 force

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
Re: lower unit no shifting

Did you install the new unit with it in gar or was it in neutral? Was your control leaver in neutral or in gear? I have always been told It is best to have both lower unit and shifter in forward when installing lower unit. You might have to remove the unit again and start over. Also if the gear ratio in your old lower unit is not the same as your new lower unit you will have to change your prop size to make up for the difference.
As far as the smoke thats normal.

goldsuke25

Cadet

it was in forward when i installed it I do not know about the lower unit since I purchased it second hand so how would I set that or know what gear it is in.is there a set position that you can tell how do you do this

brianwebb

Cadet

It could be that the adjustment might be off when you reinstalled the other lower unit. Check on the side of the leg, where the rods connect, if it loosened up, or got tightened up when the older lower end came off this could screw the controls up. Mine for example became too loose, so I only had reverse, had to tighten it back up before, to get both forward and reverse. Just a possibling. Also if you had the lower unit off before check by pulling up and then down on the shifting rod, on the lower unit by hand turning the prop, if the shaft spins in reverse and then forward, then in the middle neutral, you know its the adjustment. I'm not a pro, but this would be a guess on my part. Good luck
Brian

goldsuke25

Cadet

I just put the gear forward and the lower unit in forward same issue
I think that it is not the lower unit or the way that I hooked it up I am felling prety crapy now because I sold the last unit and bought this one and it had nothing to do with the lower unit.when I took the lower unit off I checked the shaft the shaft is hardly turning it is as if the shaft is almost broke or something how much should the shaft turn

goldsuke25

Cadet

brian you were correct the linkage was not right I wish I would have met you before I bought this lower unit it would have saved me money but now it is shifting correct thanks for the help I boat community and esp: brianwebb

brianwebb

Cadet

no problem, goldsduke, glad you got it fixed. I'm new as well, and learning all sorts of things on these force engines, it sure is fun tincering on them.
Take care
Brian