Boat taking on water?

austingt

Recruit
**Before you read please know that I am new to all this so I may not have all the part descriptions correct**

I have a 1981 Glastron SX-190 with a 5.0 mercruiser engine and mercruiser outdrive.

I bought this boat less than a month ago and the guy that sold it to me said it had bad bellows which caused a minor leak and needed to be replaced. The bellows are indeed bad but I also noticed another leak while checking where the water was leaking in. I did this by filling the water reservoir (the area in the boat where the water collects before being bilged out) and looking for leaks. The main water leak is coming from the bottom of the gimbal housing (I could be wrong but it is what buts up against the hull and houses the outdrive). My question is...

How hard is this to repair? Is it just a bad seal? Can the average Joe with a mechanical mind do the job? How much would an average shop charge to do it?

Thanks in advance for all your input and expertise.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Boat taking on water?

It's possible, but rare, that the gimbal housing to transom seal is bad.

There's a good chance your transom is rotten and leaking because the gimbal housing can't make a good seal against your now "mobile" transom skin. It's possible that something else is leaking, too but you should rule out the transom before moving forward. It will save you time.

Do you have hairline stress cracks along the bottom of the gimbal housing (on the outside)? Did someone run a bead of caulking/silicone around the outside of the housing, where it contacts the transom skin?

Check my site (in the signature) for info on how to recognize a rotten transom.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcme Aboard,.... The water reservoir is known as the Bilge around here,...;)

I don't have any Good news for you,...
A leak at the bottom of the gimbel housing Usually means the transom wood is Rotten.....

There's several Hundred average Joes down in the Restoration forum who are repairing the exact problems you're lookin' at....
Search Transom Replacement or something like that down there,... Lot's a Readin'...;)
Basically,...
You're gonna remove the drive, then the motor, then the transom assembly,....
Dig out all the Rotten wood you find,.. Then glass in a new structure....
Of course, then you Reinstall the transom assembly, the motor,+ lastly the drive.....
After that,...
It's Happy Boatin'.....;)

Btw,... The boat just Ain't worth the co$t of "Having" it done....

45Auto

Commander

First time I've seen your website, Dan!! Excellent job, ought to be a sticky here!

austingt

Recruit

Thanks for the info guys... Ya'll were both right.I stuck my hand down there past the engine and pushed right through the rotted wood without even trying.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First time I've seen your website, Dan!! Excellent job, ought to be a sticky here!

Thanks, you're not the first to say that. Wonder if it'd make sense? I have no plans to take it down, and it seems to have helped quite a few people.

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info guys... Ya'll were both right.I stuck my hand down there past the engine and pushed right through the rotted wood without even trying.

You got taken. Take the guy to court and see if you can get your money back.

austingt

Recruit

That is a good question... Can I take him to court? I haven't even registered it in my name yet.

bamadave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check on the bill of sell. If it states you are buying it as is with no warranty, you're probably SOL. Unless the guy misrepresented it, then you might have a shot. Otherwise it's buyer beware. Sorry to hear stuff like this.

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Depends on state law. In some states, if he knew there was a problem and didn't disclose it to you then you have a case even if the bill of sale says "As Is". Of course the problem is proving he knew about the problem. May want to talk to the quy and see if he'll take it back. If not talk to a lawyer in your state and find out what are your options.​