Raystown Lake Anyone???

Blue Crabber

Ensign
Re: Raystown Lake Anyone???

Hey guys,

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions! Looking forward to heading out this weekend. Just have to get through this week first!

We will see if we can get a hold of any of you while we are out there.

Again, I appreciate all the input on this thread! Hope everyone has a great rest of the boating season!

LSM

Seaman Apprentice

So how was your trip?

aspeck

Staff member

x3 ... waiting to hear how you liked our lake.

I can say that it rained all day Friday, clearing up finally in the evening. He had a nice, but cooler, day on Saturday, and a bit of rain in the morning on Sunday. Hope Blue Crabber didn't get too wet!

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Hey guys!

Thanks for checking in and asking how the weekend was! Sorry I didn't post sooner! We left the area around 2:30 Sunday and headed to a family picnic / BBQ and didn't get home until almost 11 and then had to take care of the boat and unpack! But we had a great weekend!!

We had a great time and really enjoyed the lake! We were out on the water from 11am to 8pm on Saturday. I was hoping to get out on Sunday but because of the rain and we had to leave in the early afternoon it didn't happen! But Saturdays weather was absoluetly beautiful! :D

We put in at Tatman Run Access Point around MM 20 and headed South. We were tubing and sking and jumping off the rocks. Found a quite spot to eat lunch for about 30 minutes and then we were right back to the watersports. Did that all the way down to Weaver Falls Boat Launch. Then turned around and cruised all the way to the dam taking in all the beautiful mountains and trees! My wife and I are talking about another weekend trip up there later this fall when all the trees turn color, I bet it is absolutely breath-taking!! I might need some of the local guys (Aspeck and LSM) to let me know when would be a good time to make the trip!

We also checked out both the resort and 7 points Marina while we were there. The water was pretty busy until around 6:30 or so and then it got pretty quite which was nice. All the boats out there stirred up the water some but I was expecting that thanks to all of you guys!

Sunday we spent a couple of hours in the morning hiking through Trough Creek State Park. Went across the swinging bridge and up to balancing rock and then on to a look out point on the Ledges trail. Another beautiful area!

We enjoyed the trip alot and are thinking about coming back up next summer with some more family and renting a houseboat for 5 days during the week. Maybe even camping at Nancys Campground another time too!

Aspeck and LSM - Sorry I didn't connect with either of you guys! I wanted to try but I forgot to grab the handheld VHF at home. I plugged it in to charge and walked off with out it! :( However, I am not sure that it would have been that helpful considering all the mountains and how winding the lake is. Man, I have got to find time to get the fixed mount installed, I am getting closer to that though!!!

I will try to add some pics as soon as I get them from my uncle so stay tuned! Thanks again for checking in!

aspeck

Staff member

Glad you enjoyed your time in "Raystown Country!" It is beautiful in the fall ... leaves generally are about a week behind your neck of the woods. Hopefully next time you are up we can meet up. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help make your trips enjoyable from this end.

aspeck

Staff member

Saw your pictures on facebook ... looks like a great time was had. Yes, Trough Creek State Park is cool with the swinging bridge and balanced rock. Trough Creek has some nice trout in her also ... and smallmouth bas where she comes into the Raystown with crappie out from that in the fallen trees just beyond the stump field, which is good for carp and catfish (and speaking of cool, don't forget the ice mine).

My dad told stories of going to balanced rock in the late 40's and early 50's with jacks, trying to dislodge the rock, but they could not. Would have been quite the crash into Trough Creek if they had!

Was out yesterday and wished I had the camera with me ... the sky and clouds were awesome with the foreground of mountains and water.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Thanks! We did have a great time.

Balancing Rock - Thats funny because we were talking about the very same thing while we were up there. (Getting it to fall over)

Sounds like you had a beautiful day yesterday! Enjoy them!

ckone0814

Petty Officer 1st Class

You guys are making me want to take a road trip!

mpyoung33

Recruit

Hi there everyone!!

So who all has boated at Raystown Lake?
Can anyone tell me if it is worth the 3 hour drive for me?
Whats it like?
Plenty of water everywhere?
Any areas that you must see?
Any areas to avoid?
How busy our the weekends in the summer?

Also, i see that they rent houseboats for the week? Is the lake really big enough for a house boat for 7 days?

Also, i see that there a few campgrounds accessible by boat only. Has anyone camped at any of them? If so, what did you like/dislike about it. I thougt it sounded like a fun weekend.

I spend most of my boating time down on the Chesapeake Bay but have been invited to spend a weekend with some family out near Raystown Lake. I have heard some good things about it, just wondering what fellow iboaters have to say.

Sorry for all of the questions, just want to learn eveything i can before i head out later this summer.

I know this Forum is extremely old but I was having trouble locating any information or reviews on houseboating at Raystown Lake. I am planning on booking 3 house boats for the first weekend in Aug. I normally book houseboats at Lake Cumberland, Ky but we are getting sick of the 8-9 hr drive from western Pa. I know of 2 places to rent from on this lake and just wanted some feeback on either one. Is there a regular "party spot" on this lake? I see that most boats sleep 8-10 but are the marianas strict on this rule? I'd like to get maybe 12 people on the boat. A few of my friends wouldn't mind sleeping on an air mattress in the living room area. Are there Pa laws about how many people can be on a boat while it its moving? I know in KY it was 12 passsengers and anything more than that you needed a captains license. Obviously we will not be drinking and boating but are there any alcohol restrictions on this lake? We plan on having a DJ for all 3 days that we are there. I would like to know where on the lake would we want to tie off so we didn't **** anybody off but still attract people that want to come aboard to party? If anybody responds to this thank you for your help.