Rippoff Alert!!! Craigslist!!!

doggreen13

Seaman
I hope nobody is foolish enough to fall for this one, but apparently some people are, because i have seen the same type of add for suburban JUST REMEMBER IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT IS,, what i would like to do is get as many guys is i can to just waste this guys time in anyway we can...:)

OP~

Reply to: sale-5vdme-1175638237@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-05-17, 4:12PM CDT

2006 Mariah SX19 Bow Rider Boat and includes a 2006 Magic Tilt Trailer. The Mariah SX19 has a swim platform integrated into the hull and a cockpit that seems bigger than possible in a 19-footer. It has jump seats on both sides of the engine compartment to give more space which allows room for up to 10 people.
The SX19 is a well-equipped, great-handling runabout with a family's budget in mind. At this length it tows great with a weight of only 2780 lbs. fits into a garage, is easy on fuel, and again room for up to 10 people. You will not be disappointed in this boat. I recently purchased the boat from a bank repo sale and just had it serviced by a marine dealer with the oil changed and lower unit serviced. I also purchased 2 new tires for the trailer so you are ready to go in the water with this one.

Hull ID Number: VMHAB251I506
Type: Bowrider
Engine type: Single inboard/outboard
Use: Fresh water, Salt water
Length: 19.3 feet
Engine make: Mercury
Primary fuel type: Gas
Beam: 8.2 feet
Engine model: MERCRUISER 3.0
Fuel capacity: 21-30 gallons
Hull material: Fiberglass
Trailer: Included

at that price it is within my reach i was all excited till i got this email

Hi,

Thank you so much for contacting me regarding my 2006 Mariah SX19 Bow Rider Boat and includes a 2006 Magic Tilt Trailer.The boat it's in perfect condition without any mechanical problems,with no damages or hidden defects,no need for additional repairs. The boat has 19.3 feet length, 2780 lbs weight, 8.2 feet beam, engine make: mercury, engine model: MERCRUISER 3.0, fuel capacity: 21-30 gallons. The last price for the boat is 4700$.I was fired from my job because the financial crises that affected almost everyone including the company I worked at.I'm in a hurry to find a buyer because I'm in debts with my bank, so now you can see the reason why I'm selling my boat at 4700$.. I want to make this transaction through eBay's Vehicle Purchase Program. I want eBay because they are the biggest Company and we can close this deal fast and safe for both of us.If you are interested to buy email me your full name and shipping address so I can open the case with eBay.

For more pictures here is a link to the boat photo gallery:
http://s680.photobucket.com/albums/vv165/2006-MARIAH-SX19/?start=all

Thank you,
Robin Thomas

wish there was a way we could just totally bust this guy,,,GRRRRRR

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 0

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rippoff Alert!!! Craigslist!!!

Similar ad's on Kijiji right now as well.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just flag it and move on :(

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

All kinds of undesirables on Craigslist and other sites. One of the Mods on a motorcycle forum had his 2007 Kawasaki sport bike for sale.

Nice, well spoken guy came over to check it out and asked if he could ride it in the parking lot. The seller let him use his helmet and gloves for the parking lot ride.

The guy took off with the cycle and the car he came in was stolen.

Took the cops a hour to show up and they said "your cycle is gone, call your insurance company".

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

All kinds of undesirables on Craigslist and other sites. One of the Mods on a motorcycle forum had his 2007 Kawasaki sport bike for sale.

Nice, well spoken guy came over to check it out and asked if he could ride it in the parking lot. The seller let him use his helmet and gloves for the parking lot ride.

The guy took off with the cycle and the car he came in was stolen.

Took the cops a hour to show up and they said "your cycle is gone, call your insurance company".

Now that's a bad day !!!

doggreen13

Seaman

here is an update ..i am just trying to find out how this guy is planning on getting away with this

email>

can i just send cash directly to you ?
----- Original Message -----
To: Jim
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 9:57 PM
Subject: Re: 2006 Mariah SX19 Bow Rider Boat - $5219 (chicago)

Hi,

The boat is located in Benton, Arkansas at DAS ( Dependable Auto Shippers ) headquarters, in the container, sealed and ready for shipping. You will have 10 days so you can inspect the boat. Once you have inspected the boat and decided to keep it, you will confirm your decision to eBay and only then they will re-route the money in to my account, but if by any reason, you won't be satisfied with the boat you can return it back for a full refund of your money. I will take care of the shipping, don't worry. You will receive the boat with all the necessary papers. Just get back with your full name and full shipping address and I will get everything started as soon as possible, then eBay will contact you with more further instructions.
Hope to hear soon from you.

Thanks a lot!
Robin

jkust

Rear Admiral

Funny, I saw this ad on Minneapolis CL too. Can't believe anyone would fall for any of these scams.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I saw an '03 Sea Ray 215 Express Cruiser in mint condition for $3500. The boat was only an hour away, and I knew something was up when they did not list a number, and refused to let me meet them with cash in hand for the boat. That was a steal!! I was all excited, called the fiancee and said I found our boat, and then to realize they tried to sucker me!! I just wish I could have met them face to face, and beat some common sense into them.

Just for the record, when they refused to let me drive an hour to pick the boat up, and wanted to ship it instead, I just forgot about it. Why would I send a money order from Tampa, to California, to get a boat that's in Orlando?

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Because its not in Orlando ..... or anywhere else.

doggreen13

Seaman

i like how he says...don't worry. You will receive the boat with all the necessary papers....jeez whats to worry about ? you selling a boat sight unseen that is in Arkansas on Chicago CL through ebay motors should be a perfect transaction
AAA+++ lol,,, i still dont know what or how is planning on pulling this off ..somewhere down the line he has to give his own personal information...i made up a name and address and sent it to him,,,we will see where it leads..:cool:

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Just another one of the standard craigslist/ebay scams. I recently sent the forum a very similar worded ad...for a Kubota tractor I wanted. Again, flag it and move on.

doggreen13

Seaman

here is the latest email .... cant wait to how this guy is going to do this

Hi Jim,

Thank you so much. I have received your shipping informations and already sent to eBay. They will contact you soon with the shipping details and payment instructions.. Please inform me when they has contacted you. I assure you Jim that you will be very pleased of the boat.

All the best and thanks a lot!
Robin

scipper77

Commander

so how exactly does this scam work? Do you send the money to Ebay?? I'm sure it's a scam, I'm just curious how he gets your money?

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

Hi,

The boat is located in Benton, Arkansas at DAS ( Dependable Auto Shippers ) headquarters, in the container, sealed and ready for shipping.

That was all I had to read. DAS is a bunch of hacks ( do a search on Corvette forum to see how many cars got damaged)

You'd at least think a scammer would use somebody good LOL

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

The boat is located in Benton, Arkansas at DAS ( Dependable Auto Shippers ) headquarters, in the container, sealed and ready for shipping.

That's hilarious! I live in Benton, AR. Tell him I want to come by to inspect it;)

I got dang near same response a few months back on a Mastercraft going for just under $5000. I was told it was in Lincoln Nebraska ready for shipment.

doggreen13

Seaman

{Now i understand they send you a fake html page made up to look like ebay has something to do with it, but really its a money gram once you send it its over they are in south African with your money and there is nothing anyone can do about it }

eBay Inc. sent this message to Jim Markus Dumas ( jimh1220@xxxx.net )
eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection Program Transaction ID #440520088 has started!

eBay VPP Transaction Case ID-65B4T138L3W13

Seller Name: Robin Thomas

A Verified Member in good standing.

Identity and/or Contact Information Verified.

Continues to meet strict Membership Criteria.

Committed to Dispute Resolution and Mediation.

Item 2006 Mariah SX19 Bow Rider Boat includes a 2006 Magic Tilt Trailer is backed by Vehicle Purchase's Buyer Protection Policy - up to $50,000.00.

The criteria for Vehicle Purchase Protection Membership.

The Vehicle Purchase Protection Membership, along with other factors, can substantially lower the risks of buying online. The Membership is a guarantee of a successful transaction or of a Seller's performance.
Contact the Seller at robin.thomas83@yahoo.com

eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection Program

Safe and Fast
Items are verified before shipping
100% Protected by Vehicle Purchase's Buyer Protection Policy
No further obligations or hidden fees

Item Name: 2006 Mariah SX19 Bow Rider Boat includes a 2006 Magic Tilt Trailer
eBay VPP Case ID: 65B4T138L3W13

Item Type:

Passenger Vehicle
RVs, Trailers

Motorcycle
Boat (includes a trailer)
Tractor

Parts and Accessories

Dear Jim Markus Dumas

This eBay Vehicle Protection Program ( VPP ) Invoice was sent to you at the request of our eBay Customer Robin Thomas to notify you that your eBay Vehicle Protection Program ( VPP ) Transaction ID #440520088 has started!
Invoice for eBay Vehicle Protection Program( VPP ) Transaction Case ID 65B4T138L3W13 between Robin Thomas, as the Seller and Jim Marcus Anderson, as the Buyer.
The eBay Vehicle Protection Programs offer a set of services that build protection into every step of the vehicle buying process. Some of the elements are automatically included when you buy a vehicle covered by the program element (not all elements are available for all vehicles) while some of the elements are available for a small fee. The eBay Vehicle Protection Program is your safety net in the rare occasion that something goes wrong.
Currently, the seller can provide a Vehicle Purchase Protection Coverage up to US $50,000.00. Transactions with this eBay seller are covered by purchase protection against fraud and description errors. For your safety, this account was locked today, for 10 days time period.

Complete your eBay VPP transaction in 5 easy steps:

1) Buyer and seller agree on the transaction terms and a selling price. Seller contacts eBay with the transaction details;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) eBay accepts the transaction and offers purchase protection to the buyer (if the transaction is declined, no further action is required from either the buyer or the seller);
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) The buyer receives an invoice and complete the money transfer to Vehicle Purchase Protection Program Department. After the payment is received by eBay Vehicle Purchase department and approved eBay will initiate the delivery;

4) Buyer receives the merchandise and has 10 days to inspect it. If it is complete and as described, the buyer should accept the merchandise. If he refuses the merchandise, the buyer must ship the merchandise back to the seller within three business days.The seller will pay for shipping back the merchandise;

5) After the inspection period is over ( 10 business days ), the buyer must contact us with the result of the inspection. If the buyer refuses the merchandise, the refund will be sent to the buyer. Should you need a refund for this transaction, the insured amount will be taken from the seller's purchase protection account and sent to you. The refund is sent to your bank account, or by check or money order. The way you are refunded is at your choice. You have 30 days from the above verification date to request a refund. Refund requests are processed within 2 days.

CONDITIONS TO BE MET BEFORE YOU MAY ASK FOR A REFUND

Here are the situations suitable for a refund request:

1) If the item doesn't arrive and/or the seller stops communications after the payment was received;
2) If the merchandise you receive has different specifications than the ones you agreed on;
3) If your merchandise arrives in a much longer period than the one you agreed on (more than 15 days from the payment clearance day);
For cases 2) and 3) you have to send back the merchandise to the seller at his cost prior to ask for your refund.

Important Usage Guidelines:

1. The contact information should only be used for resolving matters related to eBay. Any other use is strictly prohibited.
2. This transaction is protected by eBay services such as insurance, feedback and dispute resolution.
3. You may buy and sell with confidence in all transactions with eBay.
4. Should you need to dispute this transaction, keep the eBay VPP Case ID # at hand when contacting eBay. Any complaints must be filed within 30 days from the verification date.

Seller will use DAS door to door delivery.

The seller is going to use DAS Auto Transport Services to deliver the car to your door. The delivery will take maximum 3 days. The vehicle will be insured and will have a 10 days return policy.

Instructions for payment:

eBay requires the payment to be done through Money Gram money transfer service to an Vehicle Purchase Protection Program verified Agent.
If you are not familiarized with the MoneyGram money transfer services please click HERE . If you want to locate the nearest MoneyGram Office in your area please click HERE . You have to pay with cash at any MoneyGram Office.
The funds will not be released under any circumstances. We will hold the payment until you will send us your confirmation that you have received, inspected and you agree to keep the item. When we will have your confirmation we will transfer the funds to the seller.

Important Notice!

The payment details are confidential and will not be released under any circumstances. Vehicle Protection Program security measures are constantly reviewed and modified given evolving circumstances globally, drawing on both internal assessments and the support of government agencies. Our constant priority is for the safety of our people, our customers, and the general public. Vehicle Protection Program always tries to fulfill its customers needs.
eBay VPP Transaction informations:

Item Informations

2006 Mariah SX19 Bow Rider Boat includes a 2006 Magic Tilt Trailer
Item Price: $4,700.00
Item Description: Very good condition. Never been involved in any type of accident, no damages, scratches or dents. Clear Title.

Payment Details

Buyer: Jim Markus Dumas
Amount: $4,700.00
Deposit: $0.000.00
Balance: $0.00
Total: $4,700.00

Delivery To Informations

2006 Mariah SX19 Bow Rider Boat includes a 2006 Magic Tilt Trailer
Buyer: Jim Marcus Anderson
Address: 8625 Guild St, Park Ridge, Illinois, 60068, United States

Vehicle Purchase Program Agent Details

Agent #105976
Name: Brian Oslow
Address: 1508 Alcoa Rd, Benton, Arkansas, 72015, United States

How to complete payment?

1. Locate the nearest Money Gram Office by clicking HERE ;
2. Make the payment with cash using the above Vehicle Purchase Program Agent Agent #105976 Details;
3. Confirm the payment by sending us the MoneyGram payment receipt to the following Fax #: +1 (530) 687-8912;

*Please do not make any marks on the payment receipt.
*The payment receipt must be readable.

4. E-mail us the Money Gram payment receipt by replying at this Invoice with the following informations:

- Reference Number - 8 digits number from the payment receipt
- Exact sender's name and address on file with MoneyGram
- Amount

Once we receive the payment confirmation, we will instruct DAS ( Dependable Auto Shippers ) to start the shipping process. We will hold the payment details until you send us your confirmation that you are satisfied with the product you received. As soon as we receive your confirmation we will release the payment details to the seller.
Please NOTE: However, Money Gram is designed mainly for sending cash to friends and family in need ( person to person ), so telling them you are sending the money to an eBay Transaction you will pay much more fees and it will prevent your money transfer to go through and you will be unable to complete this Transaction.

Copyright ? 1995-2009 eBay Inc. All rights reserved
Regards,
Trust and Safety Department eBay Inc.
Vehicle Purchase Protection Program

skargo

Banned

I can't believe people fall for this prevalent nonsense.

skargo

Banned

so how exactly does this scam work? Do you send the money to Ebay?? I'm sure it's a scam, I'm just curious how he gets your money?

Ebay does NOT hold money for anything. They use a phony site that LOOKS like ebay to the gullible eye.

doggreen13

Seaman

i am just going to keep stringing this guy along ...i told i sent the money i hope he has to drive a long way to find out i didnt..next i am going to tell him i sent it to the wrong name :rolleyes:

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Thats amazing. Whats even more amazing is that people fall for that just becuase it "looks" real.

Let us know what happens!