1985 150hp XR2 no remote oil tank

jamesgang1

Cadet
I recently purchased an 86 CeeBee Avenger with an 85 150 XR2. I have had the boat out a couple of times and it ran great. It did stall a couple of times when idling through no wake zones. Sometimes it takes 10-15 cranks to start. I just puchased a Seloc for the Outboard and realized that there should be a remote tank for the oil which creates the pressure to fill the reservoir. THE TANK IS MISSING and the hoses are capped off. So, I gues basically the oil injection is now a gravity feed system. Is this ok? Is there any harm in running like this? Am I getting too much oil in the mix. I don't want to do any damage to the motor. Any advice would be appreciated.

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1985 150hp XR2 no remote oil tank

I got the same engine ID 6952167 thats suppose to be oil injected it says it on the cover but it dosent have an oil tank. Havent ran this motor yet but wonder if it suppose to be mixed instead. Its not on the motor or in the compartments.

jamesgang1

Cadet

If it's an 85 Mercury XR2, yes, it's oil injected. Have you opened the motor casing? The reservoir is right at the front of the motor inside the housing.

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice

I have pulled the engine cowl off. Unless its behind the carbs breather covers there isn't anything there. Other mercs I have had always had a screw cap for pouring it in and all but this ones dosen't.

jamesgang1

Cadet

It would be right above the carbs...right in your face when you open the cowling. Sounds like the system was removed.

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice

Must had let me get you a pic real quick.

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class

the injection system has been removed from what your saying..u can look at the pump and if the lines are capped or if the pump has been removed ,yep thats what has happened///if so, carry on ,3 oz to the gal will keep everything spinning happy and healthy

jamesgang1

Cadet

My injection system is still intact, there is just no remote tank. I have to fill the reservoir inside the cowling. What about the pressure to the system?

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class

trust me,gravity will not be your friend long with that system.has the cc pressure outlet on the starboard side of the engine been blocked?

jamesgang1

Cadet

not sure. Basically all is there except the remote tank. The hoses have been capped right where the tank used to be

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice

I'm assuming on this engine I'm just going to mix it with the fuel and bypass the injection especially if its missing. That way I know its getting what it needs.

oilinjectionfront.JPG

oilinjectionside.JPG

oilinjection.JPG

oilinjectioncap.JPG

I assume that is maybe some cap from it.

jamesgang1

Cadet

No. the hose is still connected at the cc. it is cappes at the end of the hose.

jamesgang1

Cadet

Yep. It's definitely been removed. Looks like you're premixing. Not a bad problem to have. I may be going the same direction.

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice

I kinda think its a good think since you don't have to work about it failing. I will have to double check but I think this engine is 50:1. You wouldn't happen to have a service manual in PDF or a link to it and or the tilt trim would you? Also on another note if the engine is running and its pre-mixed, you know its getting 2-cycle.

jamesgang1

Cadet

yes, it's 50:1 at WOT. The injection system increases it to 100:1 at idle. Somewhere in between should keep it happy. like cannonford said about 3 oz to the gallon. No. I don't they're hard to come by. I just picked up the manual at boaters world. They're going out of bus. got it for fifteen bucks. Good luck!

bpippin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks alot. I'll pick one up for this engine. I believe its worth it.

jamesgang1

Cadet

Is there any resaon I can't attach the cc pressure line directly to the reservoir (bypass the remote tank)?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The cap on the oil tank on the motor should have a small float sensor in it, with a couple of wires connected to the oil warning module.

This type of tank/cap/alarm system MUST BE COMPLETELY FULL, topped up so far as oil leaks out as you screw the cap on. Any less and the oil alarm should start sounding to warn you that your (missing) main oil tank has run out/low and that you are now running on the small engine mounted 'reserve' tank.

jamesgang1

Cadet

Thanks Charlie, It seems the alarm system has been disabled, and the remote tank removed. Why, i don't know. I had the boat out 4 times, filling only the reservoir before I learned how the injection system works. I guess my next question would be...should I remove the rest of the injection system and premix? (this motor runs great)

jamesgang1

Cadet

Anyone...what are the reasons someone might remove the remote tank on this system? I'm considering just going and buying a remote tank and slap it in there, but also considering removing the rest of the system. I need some experienced advice here. Everything I have read points to the fact that this model motor (V6) is the only one that has frequent issues with the oil pump. I have a trip coming up next week, and need to do the safe, reliable thing before then.