omc sea water pump

79larson

Cadet
i have a 79 larson with a 800 series outdrive #982413/W212676, my question is when i hook up the muffs and start the motor i should see the tattle tale stream correct? i do not........ i did run the motor a little with the flush adaptor so i know that i filled the motor and hoses, still no water from the tattle tale, heres a pic with the muffs slid back, any suggestions would help, mike

Attachments

• outdrive.jpg
    outdrive.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: omc sea water pump

i should see the tattle tale stream correct?
no
tattle tale is only on outboard motors

Some OMC's have a small spray hole where a tin deflector routes the water onto the ball gears, is that what you are calling a tattletale?.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Curious...why are you using muffs when you have the trunion flush kit installed on the starboard trunion cap?

79larson

Cadet

long story short, i was given the boat w/o a motor, didnt see how everything came apart, good news the new motor runs, just dont know bout how the internals work in the outdrive i have 2 books on omc, and to say the least they are cr%p as fa as detailed info........ so does this outdrive suck water in from the rear of the outdrive by the anode and kick it out through the exhaust in the prop? i had a 95 mirage at one time so i do know a few things bout boats, just not this one, thanks for the input, mike

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It sucks it in where you put on the muffs and comes out the prop. For flushing purposes you can also use that fitting on the starboard trunion instead of using the muffs. You will have to get a female/female hose adapter at the hardware store to use it.

79larson

Cadet

It sucks it in where you put on the muffs and comes out the prop. For flushing purposes you can also use that fitting on the starboard trunion instead of using the muffs. You will have to get a female/female hose adapter at the hardware store to use it.
ok thats what i thought, i used the flush fitting to start the motor and have water running thru the out drive, how can you tell if the impeller is pulling water if you are still on land?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

how can you tell if the impeller is pulling water if you are still on land?

You really can't.... not if using a garden hose. The water being delivered under pressure will compensate for a bad impeller.

Only way on land is fill a large drum that will pretty much submerge the whole drive.... it's hard to do... best to back it in the lake if any doubts.