Great day......... :-(

mcsphog

Cadet
Stripped threads on hydraulic trim hydraulic manifold behind outdrive. Now trying to remove the manifold but it will not budge. I have tried everything and it will not come off or even move. It is stuck. Any help in removing it would be greatly appreciated.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Great day......... :-(

Howdy,

It will help a lot if you reveal what make, model sterndrive you're talking about!

Regards,

Ric

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

Is it on studs?Were you able to get the nuts off?Or is there bolts and were you able to get them out?If nuts are off or bolts out see if you can tap a sharp wood chisel between the two.You can always make a thick gasket to put back on there.It's a pretty simple gasket.

mcsphog

Cadet

Sorry, it is a 1990 Seaswirl Sable Cuddy Cabin with a 5.8L OMC Cobra V-8 Stern-Drive. The manifold has on 7/16 inch nylon lock nut and washer on the stud on the top of the manifold. It took that off no problem, but I have whacked it a few times with a large blade screwdriver and hammer and it will not budge or even try to move. There are no other bolts or screws that I can see, must be corroded badly, but hitting it did not do anything other than trash the manifold, which is going to be replaced anyway.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

OK, that helps,

Just to be sure what you're talking about, you need #66 below? (From Doug Russell parts for a 1990 5.8L Cobra)
ACF3059.gif

I removed that very part from my King Cobra transom mount several months ago before I shipped to Calif.

I had one H%$^ of a time getting it out......I'll also add that I had the transom mount out of the boat when I removed it. It would be a LOT harder to remove with the drive and engine installed.....

The problem is that it's aluminum and the fittings are stainless steel. They literally weld themselves in place from the corrosion and you practically destroy it getting it apart if they are too tight.

Doug Russell lists that part at about $100 or so (if it's still available) OMC #3852559

Good luck.

Rick

mcsphog

Cadet

Yes, #66 is it. Thank you for your help. Need be I will cut the manifold off in pieces if possible. I am not willing to remove the engine and such.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Yes, #66 is it. Thank you for your help. Need be I will cut the manifold off in pieces if possible. I am not willing to remove the engine and such.

That might not be a good idea. You could damage the opening such that it might leak..... Then you might find the boat under the dock instead of beside it:eek:

If you don't have an OEM OMC service manual, now might be a good time to get one. Seloc and Clymer are not very helpful....

As much trouble I had getting it out of my gimbal, I don't envy you on this one....

mcsphog

Cadet

I have a Clymer service manual, but cannot find any mention of the manifold, only how to work on the pump and cylinders. Is the manifold only held in place by the one bolt and nut?

mcsphog

Cadet

Finally got the damn thing off and I also got lucky. A local boat recycle yard has one for $50.00. I appreciate everyone's info and help. Thank you.