Replacing the Floor!!!

I am thinking about replacing the flooring in my boat. I was wondering if it would be ok to use regular Plywood. If not what kind of wood should I use. I really don't do much watersports, I just mainly fish out of my boat. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Replacing the Floor!!!

Ayuh,.... This is the Motors,+ I/O forum,... You need to post this in the Restoration forum...

imported_TheMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agree with Bondo...

But, the marine grade plywood is pretty nice. I have seen it exposed to water for a very long time and not have any problems. Regular plywood would swell and rot pretty quickly.

Basically the two options you should consider are the marine grade plywood or regular plywood that you seal all the ends on (like with epoxy) and try to keep moisture away. A quality rebuild with the marine grade plywood will probably outlast your boat.. but it costs more.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I am thinking about replacing the flooring in my boat. I was wondering if it would be ok to use regular Plywood. If not what kind of wood should I use. I really don't do much watersports, I just mainly fish out of my boat. Thanks

If I remember correctly you have a Marktwain. (just about EVERY Mark needed a floor replacement)

Go : http://www.marktwainboats.org/phpBB3/

There's a few people that have "been there, done that" on that site.

Cheers,

Rick

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Half dozen people here will tell you, "CDX grade plywood is good enough."
Funny thing is when a used boat is purchased an a CDX repair is found then the seller is a cheap SOB.
The manufacturer used marine grade plywood for a reason.