1977 Johnson 85hp. water flow

Hawkerplt

Cadet
Good Evening,

I have a 85hp Johnson on a recently acquired fishing boat (1977 77EL). I R&R the water pump assembly...impeller, housing, gaskets, seals using a Clymer manual for the procedure. With the lower unit removed, I verified that the water tubes were clear. The impeller that came out was in fairly good shape, but had taken a set. My question is (the clymer doesn't address this) where does the water exit the engine. Is there a "pee" hole? Their are two holes just below the hood that spit water and I was able to see the water hoses on the engine for those exit points. But, their has to be more water than that circulatating. Does it also go out with exhaust?

Thanks in advance for the help with the rookie boater.

iwombat

Captain
Re: 1977 Johnson 85hp. water flow

The bulk of the water exits through the prop.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 Johnson 85hp. water flow

Most of the water passes out through the propeller with the exhaust. A portion of it partially fills the midsection, cooling and muffling the inner exhaust housing. When the water reaches the exhaust relief holes, it spits out along with some of the exhaust. The flow of water from the exhaust relief holes increases with speed and engine temperature.

The exhaust relief relieves the back-pressure on the engine when the motor is in water in the running position, making it easier to start the engine.

See figure 6.1 in your factory service manual for the water flow diagram.