first boat and having problems..need help.

ml1991

Cadet
Hello everyone,
I just came across this site and looks like a great one. I purchased my first bass boat with an 02 mercury optimax 225. I have had it out several times and have had issued each time. It starts perfectly, idles great but when i throttle it to get on plane, it will only go 10 mph and starts cutting out and acts like it is going to die. Then all of the sudden it kicks in and takes off. Once on plane it rides great and the engine just purrs. If i go to leave and fish another spot, it does it again. I have tested it when it is cold, warmed up. I have got on plane, stopped the boat and tried to get on plane again and it keeps doing it. Out of several trips, there has only been 2 times where it jumped on plane like it should. The shop said that the dyno shows it is working fine and they dont see any problem. It isnt doing it on the dyno for some reason. Does anyone have any ideas? I really appreciate any info you may have. If you need to know anything else let me know...i will gladly give you whatever information i can give. Thanks everyone in advance.

Mike

"G"

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: first boat and having problems..need help.

Mike- Sounds like your engine is out of sync. My Chiltons manual only goes up to 2000 but it says the 2000 Optimax 225 has an ECM (Electronic Control Module) that basically sets fuel, spark and running info. however, there is a crank position sensor that can be set with a feeler guage. The throttle position sensor should also be tested/reset (that sounds like your culprit). Get yourself an outboard manual for that engine and go through the set up. Two cycle or four they all require syncronization and frequently they are set incorrectly. Try that, you may be surprized at what you'll find. Good luck!

ml1991

Cadet

Thanks G for the response. I took it to the shop where i purchased it and they told me they put it on the dyno again yesterday and tested it from idle to 6600 rpm and it showed no problems. Is the sync problem something that the dyno wouldnt show?
I am having a hard time believing that the dyno is showing everything ok where on the water it is a constant problem.
Thank you for your info, i will definately be getting a manual. Have a great day!

Mike

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Get the book, check the TPS.

The engine doesn't know when it is in the water or on the dyno, but the exhaust backpressure is reduced out of the water. TPS setting slightly retarded/lean will work FINE on the dyno.