Starting Problems

Jon_912

Cadet
I've got a 1984 Mercruiser 470, that has been set up for about 3 years by the previous owner. Ive hooked a new battery up to start it and the motor will turn and sometimes it will fire off, but it doesn't stay running very long unless i am giving it gas, I pulled the top off the carburetor and cleaned it up and got everything put back together and cranked it twice and the motor turned over and it started up and now whenever I try to crank it, the starter spins, but the motor doesn't turn.... Im new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Attached is a pic of the carb. after I removed the top to inspect.

Attachments

• l_7b62f9e39967077dd39139fcda61f665.jpg
    l_7b62f9e39967077dd39139fcda61f665.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 0

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starting Problems

Sitting for 3 years will result in you having a lot of bad gas. Those deposits you saw in the carb are also in every other passage of that carb and similar stuff through out the fuel system.

Besides just taking the cover off the carb and cleaning out that area, you need to do a full rebuild on the carb. Make sure all the little passages in there get cleaned out.

You should siphon out all the old gas. However, you will likely have lots of crud in the tank that the new ethanol enhanced gas will tend to loosen and dislodge. If you can remove the fuel tank to have it cleaned, that might be a good plan. Otherwise, make sure you have plenty of fuel filters on hand. I went through all that last fall.

If the starter is turning but the bendix is not extending and engaging the fly wheel to turn the motor, it sounds like it needs a rebuild also. There is also the chance of a chipped tooth on the flywheel, and the starter just doesn't have anything to engage to turn. I have seen that on cars before, but I think that is not very likely.

Before running th engine very much, you should consider replacing the impeller for the water pump in the outdrive. That water pump is the source of the cooling water to the engine. They tend to go bad after a few seasons. While the outdrive is off, check the condition of the gimbal bearing, bellows, and u-joints.

Keep asking questions. There is a HUGE amount of experience and advice on this board.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

now whenever I try to crank it, the starter spins, but the motor doesn't turn....

With the type starter used on that model, if you have loose, corroded connections, or a weak battery it will cause the starter to spin too slow to kick the bendix in. After a lot of starting attempts, you may just need to recharge the battery.

Jon_912

Cadet

Thank you for the suggestions, I will try cleaning the fuel lines and I will check the impeller and whatnot. Also, I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of voltage I need for this boat, It seems the starter is real "draggy" and the motor doesn't turn freely, it turnes rather hard until it fires up and then it runs fine (with the help of the throttle) I checked the battery I was using and it was registering 13.2. Seemed kinda' low.

Don S

I checked the battery I was using and it was registering 13.2. Seemed kinda' low.

When was it reading 13.2V? If the motor was not running, then that's a fully charged battery.

Jon_912

Cadet

That was when we were throttling the motor tryin' to keep it running. But whenever we put the battery in to try and crank the boat it was brand new off the shelf and it was still barely turning, and when it was it was turning hard.

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"Besides just taking the cover off the carb and cleaning out that area, you need to do a full rebuild on the carb. Make sure all the little passages in there get cleaned out."

Very wise, I just spent $2K on a new motor because my fuel was only 18-20 months old. I agree!!

"You should siphon out all the old gas. "

Bad fuel = bad combustion and detionation issues, get it out completely. Do not try to dillute it with better gas. Its a costly gamble.

Don S

Then take the starter off and have it tested. Could be a bad starter, could be faulty cables.

Bondo

Staff member

I checked the battery I was using and it was registering 13.2.
Seemed kinda' low.

Ayuh,.. Kinda Low,..?? Just what were you Expecting,..??

Removing, sanding, cleaning,+ replacing the wiring ends might fix it Right up...
Don't forget the Grounds,... Both ends of the Wires too...

Bondo

Staff member

I was hoping to see it register 13.7-14 at least.

Ayuh,... You will see that Only when the battery is Charging off the motor....
And,... Even then it should show 13.6 to 13.8volts...

Jon_912

Cadet

I had the motor running and it was only showing 13.2, but anyways im about to pull the starter and bench test it and probably have it rebuilt tomorrow, and Im going to clean the selonoid, or if its just horrible I will replace it... I am also going to check the wiring going to the starter and the selonoid and clean/replace.

Don S

It will not show fully charged until the battery is fully charged. If it was low after cranking for a while, it would take it a couple of minutes to build up to full charge.
Until you get it running for more than a few seconds, what you see for voltage only tells you it's charging.

Jon_912

Cadet

Just an Update, I removed the starter and bench tested it and the fly wheel wasn't being extended over towards where it would engage the motor, it was just spinning in place, I also removed the solenoid and will be putting a new one in tomorrow since I broke off one of the posts while removing a completely rusted over bolt, I also cleaned the wiring ends connecting to the solenoid and the starter as well as the ends going back to the battery. Thank you for all the advice and I will keep you posted. Thanks.

Jon_912

Cadet

Just an update, I got it running and idling, and I took er out to the lake for a test and she ran like a top. only problems/concerns are after about 15 or 20 minutes of hard running when I throttled down to idle it would choke down some, and sometimes cut off, and wont fire back up, I would then have to let it sit for a minute or two and then it would fire right back up... Any input on why?