1994 60HP Merc ran with no oil now clicking

peterbiltwillie

Recruit
Hello all. I am new to the forum.

I have a 1994 model 60HP Merc. Oil line broke from the oil pump to the fuel line. It run approx 1/4 mile at half throttle before i found it. The motor shut down like it run out of fuel. I restarted it thinking it was a filter stopping up. It died again at 1/2 throttle. This time when i tried starting, it sounded kinda tight like the battery was dead. I knew something was wrong and pulled the hood. I noticed the oil line broke and didnt run it anymore. Replaced the broke line and mixed oil in the gas and started it up. It runs fine but has a clicking sound like a loose gear on a shaft. It is noticeable from idle to 1/2 throttle then the engine noise drowns it out.

I talked to a local Merc mechanic and he said to check the compression which i did. 110 lbs on all 3 cylinders. Seems to have same amount of power and is running fine. I tried to get that mechanic and another one here in Little Rock to listen to it today. The first Mechanic bumped the starter and said it sounds fine to him. Did not want to hook on a waterhose and listen. If I needed i could drop off and he would pull carbs and intake and look at bearings. Second big boat shop just said drop off and he would get to it in a few weeks.

Anybody know what clicking sound is? Is it coming from the transmission or lower unit and echoing up? I have run a tank of gas thru it since this has happened and still the same noise. Not louder or quiter. Any Ideas? I am curious if anyone has any info since the compression is good on all 3 cylinders.

There has been other threads with the same problem but after checking those motors had bad compression on at least 1 cylinder. After reading the posting instructions i decided to start a new thread since mine is checking out fine in all areas.

Thanks.

greasemonkeyjmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1994 60HP Merc ran with no oil now clicking

hey willie, has the noise changed any, or is it still sounding the same ?